Walking into Coyote Blue feels like being transported into a crowded Tex-Mex themed page in a child’s “I Spy” book. Almost every inch of wall-space in this restaurant-bar is covered with seeming Southwestern cultural icons: used license plates, American Indian textiles, vintage saddles, lassos, and straw cowboy hats.

Coyote Blue is popular, though the restaurant does not take reservations.  I recommend ordering a drink as soon as you arrive, otherwise you will have to wait around for a table. Choosing from the many appealing options may prove to be a challenging task.

The house margaritas are served out of large plastic vats and arrive in glass mugs with sea-salted rims. The tequila selection is impressive; the bar offers over 30 varieties of the agave-based spirit, including some high-end versions. A variety of other alluring drinks (alcoholic and not) are available, including the tempting “coyote coffee”—a cinnamon-flavored and whipped cream-topped Mexican take on Irish coffee—as well as virgin raspberry, strawberry, and piña colada frozen mixtures.

After sitting down at handcrafted tables in sand-colored booths, the meal begins with a heaping basket of house-made tortilla chips served with a side of mild salsa. Appetizers include classic Tex-Mex dishes such as nachos, quesadillas, and chile con carne, as well as lesser-known appetizers like tortillas filled with cream cheese, scallions, peppers, olives, and tortilla cheese crisps.

Entrees include a range of vegetarian and meat burritos, enchiladas, and tacos. The vegetarian burrito lacked the necessary burrito fixings of cheese, rice, and tomatoes, and as a result, its two-ingredient filling of refried beans and mushrooms tasted incomplete. They also serve chicken and steak dishes flavored with various combinations of the holy trinity of Tex-Mex cuisine—onions, peppers, and chilies—as well as Southwestern style stir-fries and burgers. For those with heartier appetites, combination platters are a great option.

The gulf shrimp quesadilla deserves praise: the crisp tortilla casing and filling of meaty shrimp, spiced cheese, and barely cooked tomatoes, was superlative. Sour cream and ultra-velvety guacamole are generously scooped onto the sides of most plates alongside richly textured refried beans, and tomato and chili seasoned rice.

Although the wait was long, and the waiters were at times neglectful, the service was overall satisfactory. While I did not have a completely flawless experience, I encourage anyone tired of Summerfields and Usdan quesadillas, and pining for some Tex-Mex cuisine, to give Coyote Blue a shot.

• Senior

I didn’t even know this place exist. Thank you for writing about it!