On Wednesday, April 6, the Wesleyan women’s lacrosse team made the short trip to the Trinity College to faceoff against the #4 nationally ranked Bantams. Behind the strength of seven consecutive goals, Trinity led the Cardinals by a score of 8-1 late in the first half. Wes seized some momentum going into the break with goals from Jess Chukwu ‘11 and Hillary Cook ‘14, who advanced the score to 8-3 with just one second remaining in the half.

The Cardinals opened up the second half with a surge of scoring, including a goal from Kaylin Berger ‘13, the first of her four second-half tallies. Chukwu, Cook, and Allie Lynch ‘11 also added goals in the second stanza, as the Cardinals outscored the Bantams 7-4 after halftime. With just over seven minutes remaining, Lynch cut the Trinity lead to three goals, at 12-9. The Bantams were able to hold off the furious Cardinals rally, as Berger’s final goal with just over a minute was the game’s final tally, which proved to be too little to late as the Bantams pulled off a narrow 12-10 victory. Maggie Drowica ‘12 excelled in net for the Cardinals, matching her career-high with 18 saves.

Berger’s four goals brought her season total up to 19, tying her with Kayla Ellman ‘13 for the team high. The second Chukwu tally was a milestone goal, giving her 100 career points on 94 goals and six assists. This marks Chukwu as the 12th player in the program’s history to reach the 100-point club, and with six more goals she can become the sixth player in Wesleyan history to score 100 career goals.

The Card’s loss levels the team’s overall record to 5-5, with a 0-5 mark in NESCAC play. The upcoming game schedule does not get any easier for the Cardinals, as their quest for their first conference victory takes them to Colby on Saturday, April 9, for a contest with the #8 nationally ranked Mules.