LCD Soundsystem may have retired after a short 10-year span; however, the band’s impact on the music world is already undeniable. The New York band first attracted attention in 2002 with its single “Losing My Edge.” After releasing three albums (LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver, and This Is Happening), as well as five other recordings, such as the remix album Introns, LCD Soundsystem decided to retire with one final concert at Madison Square Garden. Last Saturday’s show was also streamed live on Pitchfork.com, which is how I watched the show. Because of excessive scalping, James Murphy, frontman for the band, announced that it would play four extra shows leading up to the concert so that fans would not have to pay ridiculous amounts (reportedly up to $1,500).

Fans at Madison Square Garden as well as all over the country awaited the heroic ending of an incredible group of musicians. As the lights in the stadium turned off and the screen faded to match the blackness of the dimmed room my friends and I were in, I knew this would be a concert I would always remember, even though I wasn’t even there.

It was clear that LCD Soundsystem knew what its fans wanted going in and gave it to them. The band began with the popular song “Dance Yrself Clean,” off its album This is Happening. They played three full sets in addition to two encore sets, drawing from all three of their albums and many of their obscure releases, such as 45:33 Remixes. James Murphy brought his energetic and modest charm in full force, enchanting everyone with powerful lyrics and haunting melodies. Keyboardist Nancy Whang laid down beautiful chords and catchy harmonies to match Murphy. Drummer Pat Mahoney, bassist Tyler Pope, guitarist David Stone, and a slew of other musicians combined to create the full force that was LCD Soundsystem.

As I sat in a room glued to my seat by the musical force that wracked my brain and body, it came to my realization, that like all good things, this too must end. After wowing crowds for nearly four hours, the time came for LCD Soundsystem to begin its final song. The band chose the fitting “New York I Love You, But You’re Bringing Me Down,” a slow ballad that while on the surface is about the city of New York, truly delves into the idea that even wonderful things go downhill.

Perhaps this is why LCD Soundsystem had to retire. Like New York and all things in life, LCD Soundsystem would, with time, eventually go downhill. Bands often stay together too long, dragging out a good thing until it loses what made it enjoyable in the first place: innovation. LCD Soundsystem went out with a bang and without a bad point. It will forever be remembered as an incredible band of talented musicians whose last show will be in the minds of fans for years to come.