After a scorching 6-0 start, the Wesleyan men’s lacrosse team finally lost this past Saturday, falling 12-7 on the road against the Bates Bobcats.  In their outstanding run to start the season, they beat every challenger, from lowly Merchant Marine Academy (a 21-8 victory) to mighty Middlebury, ranked fifth nationally (9-8 in overtime).

But the Bobcats refused to become the Cardinals’ seventh victim, responding to an early 4-2 Wes lead by making a 3-0 run in the second quarter.  Despite goals by Max Landow ’12, Teddy Citrin ’12, Graham Gnall ’11, and John Froats ’12, the Cardinals could not stop the Bobcats from taking a 5-4 lead into halftime.  Bates carried the momentum into the second half, producing another 3-0 run in the third quarter to go up 8-4.

The Cardinals were not going to go down easily, however; two more goals by Citrin and another by Conor Malangone ’11 got Wesleyan back in the game at 8-6 and 9-7, but the Bates onslaught could not be contained.  They scored three more goals to put the game out of reach and take the 12-7 victory.  Twenty eight of Bates’ 37 shot attempts were on goal, and despite junior goalie Grant Covington’s career high 16 saves, the Bobcats became the first team to score double digit goals against the Cardinals this season.

Bates’ victory continued a surprising trend.  Since 2003, only two NESCAC schools have outscored Wesleyan in their head-to-head meetings with the Cardinals: Bates and perennial powerhouse Middlebury.

The loss may have come at a good time for Wesleyan; perhaps it will refocus the Cardinals for the remainder of their season.  Their next opponent is the undefeated defending national champion, top-ranked Tufts, who will host Wesleyan this Saturday, April 2.

• VM

Is Casey Lasda hurt? He started Game 1, but hasn’t even played since.