When Raghu Appasani ’12 created the Mental Illness and Neurological Disorders (MINDS) Foundation at the beginning of his junior year, he not only envisaged an organization that would help treat mental illness in under-served regions in India, but also one that would fight the stigma that is associated with those illnesses. Now the foundation is one of three University student groups that are competing in the Dell Social Innovation Award Competition for a chance to win $50,000.

According to Appasani, the healthcare in India is centered in urban areas, even though the majority of the population dwells in rural areas. He said that there is an extremely negative stigma that is ascribed to mental illness, and in some cases mentally ill patients are shackled or tied up. MINDS seeks to both increase the availability and quality of treatment for mental illnesses, as well as eliminate misunderstandings surrounding the issue. Instead of creating their own facilities, Appasani said that MINDS would try to integrate mental health facilities into existing clinics.

“Mental illnesses deprive a family of their pride, and they try to hide it away,” Appasani said. “People don’t know that it’s a real disorder, they see it as a weakness or an act.”

Appasani said that they have a board of directors and a pilot program that is ready to go. The money from the Dell award would be used to hire interns and to send more people to India this summer to implement the program.

Since MINDS was created at the beginning of last semester, the foundation has amassed student and faculty support. Managing Director Jane Nestler ’12 said that the University community has been integral in maintaining their program.

“Being involved with MINDS has caused me to gain even more respect for the Wesleyan community,” wrote Nestler in an e-mail to The Argus. “Many students and faculty have expressed their interest in contributing to MINDS. This really shows me how unique Wesleyan is, in that so many people have a knack for helping people and making this world a better, safer place.”

Foundation members have been e-mailing and calling alumni in the medical field in hopes of gaining more votes and support. On Feb. 23 there will be a benefit event for MINDS held at the Mondo Restaurant on Main Street.

“It’s amazing how much of a resource social networking is in competitions like these,” wrote Media Director Zachary Valenti ’12 in an e-mail to The Argus. “I don’t think people realize how helpful posting up a link as their Facebook status is for getting MINDS more votes, which translates to starting capital they could put to use immediately.”

Voting for the Dell competition closes on Feb. 18 and the semifinalists will be announced on March 1. About 90 semifinalists will be chosen, and the top 10 ideas with the most votes are automatically entered into the second round.

“$50,000 is a lot of money and it would enable us to stay in India longer over the course of the summer and enable us to treat more patients,” wrote Programs Director Lennox Byer ’12 in an e-mail to The Argus. “Everything we are going to be offering to the patients is free so it has to be paid for somehow. Vote people vote!”