The Wesleyan swim and dive teams ended their winter break early this year for a training trip in Naples, Florida. Unlike last year’s voyage, when storms abbreviated many of the practices, the Cardinals ran into perfect Florida weather. The ideal conditions allowed for longer training sessions, pushing the athletes to prepare for this year’s meets.

“[The] trip united the team, gave us more confidence, and prepared us for the upcoming NESCAC championships,” said Martin Kafina ’13.

Kafina added that the regimens were measured in meters rather than yards, making them longer and more strenuous. After welcoming the time away from the bitter New England cold, the teams left the sunshine stronger and in high spirits as they geared up for second semester action.

In their first meet after the holidays on Jan. 15, the Cardinals headed up to Williams for a tri-meet that also involved Tufts. Despite strong third-place performances from Momo Saleh ’12, with a 5:01.05 time in the 500 freestyle, and Kafina, who finished in 55.23 in the 100 butterfly, the men’s squad came up short against Williams and Tufts by a score of 228-59 and 224-63, respectively. The women’s team also made the trip up to Williamstown to participate in a tri-meet against the Ephs and Jumbos. With standout times from Cara Madden ’11 and Cara Coyker-Eybel ’13, the Cardinals provided a great showing while coming up just short, 157-142, against Tufts, and falling to Williams 195-100. Madden was the 200 backstroke victor in 2:12.90 and second in the 100 backstroke, touching in at 1:01.41. Coyker-Eybel nabbed second place in both the 200 freestyle and 100 butterfly.

On Saturday, Jan. 22, the men and women’s teams hit the road again for an intrastate rivalry dual-meet against the Connecticut College Camels. The Camels clipped the Cardinals 163-96, but the Cardinals boasted first place finishes from Saleh and co-captain Darren Thomason ’11 in the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke, respectively. Wes Fantini ’13 garnered first place honors in the 200 breaststroke, leading a Cardinal sweep in the event.

The women’s team also suffered defeat at the hands of the Camels, losing 171-125. Among many bright spots from the meet was the performance of diver Sam Maldonado ’13, who won the events on both boards, along with first-place finishes from Coyker-Elbel in the 200 IM and junior Rachel Cohen ’12 in the 100 freestyle. Both teams will look to build on their recent performances as they take their talents to Waterville, Maine next weekend to engage in another tri-meet involving the hosting the Colby Mules, and the Bowdoin Polar Bears.