The Wesleyan men’s hockey team saw two disappointing losses this weekend to out-of-league opponents Babson and UMass-Boston.  With both colleges in the Greater Boston area, the Cardinals traveled to Babson on Friday, Dec. 3, to take on the Beavers.

The game was relatively even during the first two periods of play with Babson scoring late in the first period of the game on a power play goal.  The Cardinals responded early in the second period on a power play goal of their own, scored by Keith Buehler ’14 off an assist from defenseman Chris MacDonald ’13.  Despite numerous penalties throughout the rest of the second period, the Cards and the Beavers remained tied at one heading into the final period of play.

Babson broke the deadlock early in the third on another power play goal to take a one-goal lead. The Cardinals had one power play attempt of their own, but failed to generate any solid offense throughout the third period.  Babson would go on to score two goals in 20 seconds late in the third to win the game 4-1. Goalie Glenn Stowell ’13 collected 24 saves on the game while letting in three goals.  The last of Babson’s tallies came on an empty net.

Facing UMass-Boston the next day, the Cardinals put up a good fight, but the Beacons eventually came away with the win late into the third period of the game.  The scoring went back and forth all game with UMB leading throughout. Wesleyan tied the game three different times throughout the contest but never took the lead.  The Cards and the Beacons stood tied at two goals after the first period, as Nik Tasiopoulos ’14 lit the lamp twice for Wesleyan.

The Cards lost some momentum in the second period as UMB scored two unanswered goals to go into the third period up 4-2. Wesleyan refused to roll over and scored back-to-back goals in the third period from forwards Anthony DePietto ’11 and Geoff Mucha ’12 to tie the game with only seven minutes remaining. UMB scored again only four minutes later to take the lead with the clock winding down.  In an attempt to create an offensive advantage, the Cardinals pulled Stowell for an extra skater on offense, but Wesleyan failed to control the puck and UMB scored its final goal on an empty net to go up 6-4 with under two minutes to play.

The Cardinals will resume play after the new year at the McCabe Tournament where they will face Amherst for the second time this season.