I can remember back to the days of yore—or rather, first grade—when a loaf of stale bread translated to ammunition to hurl at Kai as he walked past my house after school. For the record, Kai made fun of my butterfly hairclips. A lot. Now that I’m older and wiser, I have other, far more delicious, (though admittedly slightly less entertaining), uses for any remaining crusty loaves. Meet bread pudding, and to give a nice “Yeah, I go to school in New England, but no, not in Vermont, but whatever, close enough” feel to it, add maple syrup. Bread pudding is also highly adaptable for people like me who find measuring cups cloying, because it’s just bread soaking up sugar and custard and then tasting bomb in your mouth.  So rustle up your Eco To-Go container, hit up Usdan, get some cinnamon raisin bread and bagels, let them get nice and stale, (Miller Lite radio ads anyone?—Google it if you don’t know what I’m talking about), and you’re ready to go. P.S. If you’re weird and happen to not like this, feel free to hurl it at anyone who makes fun of any butterfly hairclips that you may or may not still have.

Maple Raisin Bread Pudding

Adapted from Natalie’s Killer Cuisine
yield: one 10×10 baking pan

6-7 cups stale cinnamon raisin bread and/or bagels, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract

1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
preheat oven to 375 degrees

1. Cut bread in large cubes and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine all other ingredients.

3. Pour liquid over the bread. Gently toss until the bread is coated.

4. Prepare a baking dish with butter or pan spray and pour bread mixture on top. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until sides pull away from the pan. Let cool at least 20 minutes before cutting.