These are reactionary scones. Borne out of years of being told that the likes of Golden Grahams, Reese’s Puffs, and Lucky Charms were the equivalent of dessert for breakfast, this is revenge. I’m rejecting the bland legacy of shredded wheat and oatmeal. This is college. Sure you can get a Clif bar or a bagel, but wouldn’t you rather be gourmet, tick off a league of dietitians, and have cheese and sugar together? Even better, like all Dis-batch recipes, the key ingredient can be taken to-go (read: not furtively stolen) from Usdan. Success.

Apple Jack, Apple, and Cheddar Scones
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Makes about 15 scones

2 apples

1 1/2 cups flour

2 cups crushed Apple Jacks cereal
1/4 cup sugar plus extra for sprinkling

1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch dice

1/2 cup sharp cheddar, shredded

1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 375 °F. Butter baking sheet.

1. Peel and core apples, then cut them into cubes. Placed them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake them about 20 minutes. They will be mushy. Let them cool completely. Leave oven on.

2. Whisk flour, Apple Jacks, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Set aside. Rub the cold butter into the flour mixture with your fingers, hand-chop the apples coarsely and mix the cheese, cream, and one egg together with a wooden spoon until combined. Do not overmix.

3. Flour your counter top and place the scone dough on top of it. Sprinkle with flour. Use your hands to form 12 triangular globs—about ½ an inch thick each. Or just make globs, much easier. Transfer them to a buttered baking sheet. Leave at least two inches between each scone.

4. Beat remaining egg in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. Brush the scones with egg wash and sprinkle them with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake until firm and golden, about 14 minutes. With a spatula, lift them to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.