It’s that time of the week again. Your housemate brings home a box of assorted fruits and veggies and you think, how am I supposed to combine zucchini and oranges? What are collard greens? Here are a few recipes for your vegetables and although I didn’t write any for your fruits, I have no doubt that kiwis, oranges, and apples would make a lovely fruit salad. Remember, live life on the veg.

Sautéed Zucchini coins

–       Dice a few cloves of garlic and throw in a pan with some olive oil.

–       After a few minutes, throw in some diced onions or shallots and cook until they start to soften.

–       Chop the zucchini into thin coins and arrange in a single layer in the pan so they can brown.

–       Stir occasionally and flip over to brown both sides until tender.

Garlicky Collard Greens

(Similar to the sautéed chard recipe in the last issue)

-Wash and chop the collard greens into four inch slices.

-Put a little olive oil in a pan on medium heat, and sauté some onions if you have any.

-After five minutes or so, add some diced garlic and the collard greens.

-Stir around and cook for 7-8 more minutes until it cooks down a lot. Pour some soy sauce on top for flavor.

– It will turn to a kind of ugly green. Collards take a while to cook so it may take a bit longer to get tender enough.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

(Adapted from 101cookbooks.com, uses the yellow onion too!)
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (1 1/2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, diced
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 large head of broccoli, cut into small florets

2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 – 3 teaspoons dijon mustard
smoked paprika to taste

Sauté the shallots, onion, and a pinch of salt for a couple minutes on med-low heat. Add the potatoes and cover and then cook for a few minutes until they are soft enough to stick a fork in. Uncover, and add the garlic and then the broth. Bring to a boil until the potatoes are tender, and then stir in the broccoli. Simmer until the broccoli is tender throughout, so about 2-4 minutes.

Remove the soup from the heat and puree in a blender. Add half the cheese and the mustard. Add more water if you want it to be soupier. Taste to flavor.

Serve with croutons, the remaining cheese, and a little paprika.