Cardinal football achieved victory over a strong Colby team this weekend in Waterville, Maine—their second victory in a row.  For the third week, running back Shea Dwyer ’10 had another record-setting outing, shattering the record for most yards rushed in a game for the second time this season.  Two weeks ago against Hamilton, Dwyer rushed for 213 yards to break the 24-year old record of 190 yards.  Dwyer improved on his record-setting performance, rushing for 255 yards and three touchdowns in a 27-20 victory over the Mules from Colby.

While Colby managed to strike first with two field goals, Wesleyan responded with two touchdowns of their own to take a 14-6 lead in the second quarter. Dwyer completed Wesleyan’s first successful drive with a 10-yard run into the end zone to give Wesleyan the lead at 7-6.  After impeding the Colby offense from any scoring opportunities, Dwyer scored his second touchdown of the day, this time on an 89-yard tear, a touchdown rush, just five yards short of the longest touchdown rush in Wesleyan history.  Dwyer, who has found unprecedented rushing success this season, credits the support of his teammates who have risen to give Wesleyan one of the best running games in the division.

“On the 89-yard run on Saturday, Kyle Weiss, Matt Coyne, and our left tackle Zach Sadler were running downfield with me making extra blocks to turn that play into a touchdown,” said Dwyer.  “That play is just a microcosm of the kind of effort the receivers and line put forth every play—and it’s that kind of extra effort that all eleven players on offense are putting forth that has turned the running game into such a success.”

Quarterback Matt Coyne ’12 found tight end Tim Morley ’11 in the end zone on a two yard pass with just under four minutes left to play to give the Cardinals a commanding 21-6 lead after the first half.

The third quarter saw little offensive action, with Colby scoring the only points of the quarter on a touchdown pass with twelve seconds remaining to cut the deficit to 21-13.  In a tightly contested fourth quarter, the Cardinals were able to strike first, with Dwyer finding the end zone for the third time of the day. Colby managed to block Wesleyan’s extra point attempt, followed by a touchdown of its own to make it a 27-20 game with just five minutes left to play.  Colby, in an effort to tie the game, attempted an onside kick, only to be recovered by Wesleyan’s Jordan Greene ’12.  Colby’s defense made a fatal error on a 3rd and twelve play, giving the Cardinals a first down on a spearing penalty.  The first down was enough to let Wesleyan run out the clock, and the victory was sealed.

With a win against Colby, one of the strongest teams in the league, team chemistry and confidence is at an all-time high.

“The team is very optimistic,” said captain and tight end Joe Giaimo ’11,  “We haven’t won two games in a row since my freshman year. There is still so much room for improvement, and to look at how well we’ve performed as of late is very encouraging. With the effort we’ve been putting in week in and week out we’re looking at a strong second half of the season.”

The Cardinals will next face Bates who is winless on the season, followed by a homecoming game against perennial rival Amherst.

• Roxy

This is exactly what I was looinkg for. Thanks for writing!