On Sunday, the men and women’s crew teams traveled to Lowell, Mass. to participate in the Textile River Regatta. The two teams raced a total of eight boats, and came back to Wesleyan feeling accomplished and excited about their prospects for the season.

“Both squads did really well,” said Frank Fineis ’13. “This was a really encouraging start to the season, especially for the women’s side, and I am excited to see how both teams will progress this year.”

For the men, the distribution of boats was one two person, one four person, and two eight person boats. The two-person boat, made up of Elliot Skopin ’11 and Terrence Word ’11, came in second out of 14 boats, the four person boat came in seventh out of 27 boats, the eight person men’s novice boat came in first out of three boats, and the eight person men’s varsity boat came in third out of 13 boats.

For the women, the squad raced two eight person boats and one four person. In the eight-person race the A boat came in fourth out of 19, while the B boat came in 11th. The four-person boat came in 20th out of 26 boats.

“We were racing against schools that are a lot bigger than us, so the fact that we had so many finishes in the top five is great,” Fineis said. “Despite our success, we are looking to do even better in our next race next Saturday.”