Punk in the chapel? Sounds crazy, no? But in our Wesleyan community, even this is possible: Czech punk band Už Jsme Doma played a show last Friday in Memorial Chapel. As I entered, I wondered how a punk show could be enjoyed while sitting in pews politely listening, luckily, this only happened for the first few seconds of the show; then a few ambitious students began to dance in the small amount of space between the front pew and the stage. More and more of the audience began to join in until a large, dancing audience had formed. In true punk fashion, a mosh pit began. Pushing and shoving commenced, with a few punches sprinkled in. Už Jsme Doma drew upon this new excitement within the crowd, getting even more into the music they were playing.

Už Jsme Doma is made up of a guitarist/vocalist/keyboardist, a bassist, a drummer, and a trumpeter. Their music has a punk feel with influences from various avant-garde music styles. The group possesses a unique sound that hasn’t been heard before—a refreshing change from the repetitive modern music industry. The band’s Czech influences in addition to their punk rhythms create a music feel that is rarely heard in the American mainstream.

According to their website, Už Jsme Doma considers themselves part of the Rock in Opposition movement, in which bands united against the music industry that refused to acknowledge their music. After forming in 1985, Už Jsme Doma traveled throughout Europe, the United States, and even far away countries like New Zealand. They are currently on a tour across the U.S. (sponsored by the Czech government because the band is considered “culturally relevant”) and then the Czech Republic. The band is soon to reach show number 2,000. They have released six albums and their newest is entitled “Fish Oil.”

Though Friday night’s show didn’t draw a huge crowd, there is no doubt that the students who attended had a great time, and really got into the music. The energy between the audience and band contributed to the excitement (and large amounts of sweat) in the room. This unique concert truly gave Wesleyan students a chance to rock out and have fun (and maybe even get hurt a bit while moshing). I really hope you czeched it out.

• gabriel pleska

Well, their latest album is not Cod-liver Oil (2003). This year we have finally after long waiting got brand new CD, called Jeskyně, The Cave.