The Cardinals men’s tennis team is currently firing on all cylinders, coming off a 9-0 win over Springfield College on Wednesday. Wesleyan is now 3-0 in the fall season, with sights set on a perfect 5-0 fall season following such a strong road victory.

“We’re definitely playing well,” said Donald Kleckner ’13. “I think we probably played an inferior opponent, so we took advantage of the opportunity. We got off to a good start with doubles and never stopped, just did what we had to do to get out of there. It was just good to get a big win.”

It was a top-to-bottom strong performance for Wesleyan. No matches that posed any real problems for the Cardinals men, with resounding singles wins by Jeff Legunn ’13 by a score of 6-2, 6-3 over the Springfield top seed, and by Michael Glen ’13 with a dominant 6-0, 6-0 performance against the fifth seed. The Cardinals’ dominance was seen on the doubles side as well, as the duos of Legunn and RavyUong ’13; Alex Hirsch ’13 and Kleckner; and Glen and Garrett Blank ’11 all cruised to easy victories.

“I thought our doubles looked very good,” Kleckner said. “Everybody is moving a lot more and looking more aggressive at the net, so there’s no stopping it when we’re playing like that.”

The road to a perfect fall record will run through Roger Williams and the Coast Guard. The Cardinals will travel to Roger Williams on Thursday, October 3 before hosting Coast guard the following Sunday to end the fall season.

“I think the next two against Roger Williams and Coast Guard next week to finish up should be our toughest matches so far,” Kleckner said. “I think it will be a good test, hopefully we can come out on top and finish undefeated for the fall season.”

The reaction to the fast start by men’s tennis should be enthusiastic yet tempered. The potential of a 5-0 start is a great way to kick off the year, but if history is any indication, the 9-0 routs should not be so easy to come by when NESCAC competition rolls around for the spring season.

“The fall schedule hurts the team because we’re not getting great practice,” Legunn said. “The teams we play are pretty raw, so we could be facing some tougher competition. It does help us because it gives us confidence with these 9-0 wins. We’re feeling very good about our play right now. We’re looking forward to getting the chance to prove ourselves in NESCAC play.”