The Wesleyan women’s tennis team sustained its undefeated record this past weekend, as they advanced to a 4-0 standing on the season after defeating Roger Williams College on Sunday afternoon. Led by the undefeated number 4 singles player, Nicki Softness ’14, the Cards swept the doubles matches and took four of the six singles points for an impressive 7-2 victory.

The Cards controlled the courts in doubles play, as power couple Genevieve Aniello ’13 and Softness took home a big 8-3 win. Softness, who has gone 4-0 in both singles and doubles play, has carried the team this season: she has yet to lose a set, playing three times at number 4 singles and number 1 doubles.

“All doubles teams worked in sync to beat all three other teams,” said Softness. “Several singles matches pulled away from tight beginnings to win efficiently as well.”

The number two pair, Linda McDougal ’11 and Grace Smith ’14, also displayed some serious talent as they swept over their opponents 8-0.

“Linda and I are really developing as a doubles team,” said Smith.  “After a few matches together we’ve come to understand each other’s strengths, weaknesses, and thought processes during the points.”

At the number three spot, Taylor Morales ’13 and Ana Alvarado ’12 closed out the doubles rounds for the Cards with a solid 8-5 triumph.

Sniping four of the six singles points, the Cards dominated the singles affairs as well. Playing at number one, Aniello battled it out for three difficult sets, but fell in the final round and took a 6-4, 1-6, 0-6 loss. Smith, undefeated so far this season, had another impressive conquest as she came away with a 6-4, 6-2 win.

“Although I won my singles match, it was mentally challenging,” Smith said. “My opponent didn’t put much pace on the ball, so it became frustrating. I had to make sure to keep playing my game and being aggressive.”

Team captain McDougal had an up and down match, as she fought for three long sets and ultimately came out on top with a final mark 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 mark. Playing at number four, Softness continued her undefeated streak and came away with a 6-4, 6-3 win. The number five player, Liza Fletcher ’14, also took home a victory, winning both her sets 6-3. Kaitlyn Clark ’14 concluded the day for the Cards at the number six spot with a tough 6-2, 4-6 (11-9) loss.

The Cards will compete in their final match of the fall season on Saturday, Oct. 9 at home as they take on NESCAC powerhouse Williams College, a team Wesleyan has never defeated in 36 all-time meetings.