Nora Miller ’12, the student who was airlifted to the hospital early Monday morning with severe burns covering her body, passed away later that day. According to an e-mail that President Michael Roth sent to the Wesleyan community on Tuesday afternoon, the University is currently working to plan a service for Miller.
According to The Hartford Courant, the burns were self-inflicted.

Around 11:30 p.m. on Sunday, a status update on a Facebook account under Miller’s name read, “when there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire,” a lyric from a track by the band Stars.
“At this point in the investigation this incident does not appear to be criminal in nature,” the Middletown Police Department press release stated.

According to a student who wished to remain anonymous, the Miller missed a dinner she had been expected to attend on Sunday evening, and later in the night a friend stopped by her house on campus looking for her. At around 2:00 a.m., a Public Safety officer stopped by her house to talk to her housemates, the source said.

Several sources have reported that Miller was found at around 7:00 a.m. on the Andersen Track field behind the Freeman Athletic Center. Another student who wished to remain anonymous reported that the helicopter arrived at the scene around 7:40 a.m. and landed on the field near the woods. It joined at least three police cars and an ambulance that had already arrived.

According to The Middletown Press, a representative from Lifestar, the Hartford Hospital critical care helicopter service, reported that 100 percent of the student’s body was burned.

“When someone takes her own life, the entire community is shaken,” Roth’s e-mail read. “I have no doubt we will be more mindful than ever of those who are suffering around us, and, I trust, we will console one another and take care of one another.”