The Wesleyan Women’s soccer team enters the 2010 campaign with a strong returning roster. Led by head coach Eva Meredith, the Cardinals have boasted a winning season in the past two years, and luckily graduated only four seniors last year. With experience on their side, the Cardinals will look to improve on their 8-6-1 record of 2009. This year, senior co-captains, Katlin Ashley ‘11 and Cora Lautze ’11, lead the team.
Notably, the Cardinals retain their offensive intensity.

Look for the women’s soccer to be on the attack. Freshman standout, Laura Kurash ’13, returns to the field after winning NESCAC Rookie of the Year last season. The Cardinals offense also retained top-scorers Dasha Battelle ’11, Kat Ellis-Ferrara ’13, and Kaylin Berger ’13, giving the squad some diverse options as they move forward. The Cardinals will miss the presence of graduated center-midfielder Taylor Stevenson ‘10 and will look to replace her leadership in the center.

Though the emphasis for the 2010 season lies largely in the Cardinals offensive potential, the Wesleyan women have an experienced back-line. The Cardinal defense looks to improve on last year’s 2009 school record for shutouts in a season with seven games.

Defensively, the Cardinals have solid returnees including Cora Lautze ’11, Anna Crystal ’11, Emma Nitzberg ’12, and Jen Brewer ’13. Rounding out the back, the Cardinals have two strong options in goal with veterans Clare Colton ’12 and Kate Connolley-Smithwick ’13. Other experienced contributors returning to the pitch are Maddy Harrington ’11, Hillary Biggs ’12, Gemma Doll-Grossman ’12, Hannah Stuckey ’12, and Mikaela Curtin ’13.

The Cardinals also welcome a strong freshman class to their experienced squad. Ten-freshman look to experience their first collegiate minutes this season, and hopefully the newcomers can make an impact on the pitch. Kerry Doyle ’14, hailing from nearby North Haven, Conn. is the freshman to watch in the 2010 season.

“We look good,” said team captain Katlin Ashley ’11. “Our freshmen are skillful, hardworking, and have added great depth to our team. For the first time in my four years, I feel that every position is completely stacked. We fought hard and made some good things happen during our scrimmages against Trinity and Connecticut College which is so exciting, especially since we’ve only been playing together for a week.”

The Cardinals open their season at home against Williams on Sept. 11 at 11 a.m.
“All I’m saying is Williams better watch their backs,” Ashley said.