There comes a time, every year, when clothes are shed, sunglasses are donned, and the quest for the perfect soundtrack begins. Summer weather shouldn’t be silent; that’s why I’ve done some (less than) intense research and compiled the perfect accompaniment for days at the beach, cross-country road trips, roaring bonfires, and time spent schmoozing by the tiki bar.

10. Everclear – “Santa Monica” (1995)

The chorus of this song seals the deal: “We could live beside the ocean, leave the fire behind, swim out past the breakers, watch the world die.” I’d say that’s serious progress for lead singer Art Alexakis, considering his harrowing past.

9. Len – “Steal My Sunshine” (1999)

The late nineties were the heyday of sample-driven pop rock. This one-hit wonder band struck gold and summer jam immortality with a hook borrowed from Andrea True Connection’s ‘More, More, More.’ Note the posse of orange scooters cruising down the boardwalk.

8. Sugar Ray – “Fly (feat. Super Cat)” (1997)

Who can’t forget Mark McGrath’s bleached-tip, spiked up hair? Well, we surely can’t forget the slew of summer anthems that came out of Sugar Ray’s pop rock machine.

7. Lionel Richie – “All Night Long (All Night)” (1983)

Lionel Richie’s 80s masterpiece is the whipped cream on top of every summer party. “Raise the roof and have some fun.” Those are words to live by. The Phoenix Suns do a nice cover of this song.

6. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince – “Summertime” (1991)

The Fresh Prince breaks down the fundamentals of the summer season on this track: barbecues, cruising in cars, basketball, hanging out and having a good time.

5. Bob Marley & The Wailers – “Jamming” (1977)

What’s a summer countdown without the King of Reggae? Fun fact: Bob Marley was buried with his Les Paul Guitar, a soccer ball, a cannabis bud, and a Bible.

4. Weezer – “Island In The Sun” (2004)

We all love (and sometimes hate) lead singer Rivers Cuomo’s girlish crooning, but the Spike Jonze-directed music video puts the playful, warm weather appeal over the top.

3. Beach Boys – “California Girls” (1965)

In a toss up between this and ‘Surfin’ USA,’ tie goes to ‘California Girls’ because it has a much more lasting quality. Also, it wasn’t ripped off directly from a Chuck Berry song. In fact, the music for ‘California Girls’ was written after Brian Wilson’s first LSD experience. I find it amazing that this dorky-looking bunch of pale white guys gave us some of the most memorable beach anthems ever.

2. The Beatles – “Here Comes The Sun” (1969)

“Here comes the sun, and I say it’s alright.”

1. Sublime – “What I Got” (1997)

It wouldn’t make much sense to give the top spot to anyone but Sublime. Bradley Nowell, Eric Wilson, and Bud Gaugh put SoCal weather and a beach bum attitude to music. In addition to being one of the most recognizable jams on the planet, ‘What I Got’ is the embodiment of summer lounging.

Honorable Mentions: Summer of ’69 – Bryan Adams, Better Days (And The Bottom Drops Out) – Citizen King, Already Gone – The Eagles, The Way – Fastball, Scar Tissue – Red Hot Chili Peppers, Send Me On My Way – Rusted Root, The Joker – Steve Miller Band, Red Red Wine – UB40

Come up with a list of your own or suggest a song that I’ve omitted below!

• anon

n33d m0r3 CH1LLW4V3

• dissatisfied

where’s the grateful dead? they almost exclusively record summer jams. duh. and i appreciate sublime but wouldn’t “Doin Time (Uptown Dub-)” be a little more fitting? it directly quotes summertime, and i mean the OG “Summertime,” the real good sam cooke smooth as fuck little slice of lazy summer goodness. goddamn.

• dissatisfied

also, where the fuck is the west coast hip hop? goddamn goddamn

• dissatisfied

also again, “Do It Again” by the Beach Boys is even better then “California Girls.” no goddamn needed this time, this issue isn’t as pressing as the others.

• where is the…

ace of base?????????

• Dean

“Doin’ Time” – understandable, i had it in a close second to “What I Got”
    West Coast Hip Hop – good point, I definitely could’ve included some 2pac
    “Do It Again” – there’s no way this merits a spot over “California girls”