At the NESCAC Championships hosted by Tufts on Saturday, the women’s track team placed eighth of the 11 teams in attendance, while the men took tenth overall. Despite the disappointing performances, there were a number of individual standouts for the Cardinals, including Ravenna Neville ’10, who placed 20th of 34 finishers—and sixth among Division III entrants—in the College Women’s 10k Championship on Thursday at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia.

Neville clocked in 36:21.23 at the Penn Relays, putting her well ahead of the provisional qualifying standard for the NCAA Championships (37:30.00). The threshold for automatic qualification is 35:48.00. As of Sunday, Neville’s time was the 18th-fastest in Division III this season; the minimum field size for the event is 15 runners, according to the 2010 NCAA Championships Handbook.

At Tufts on Saturday, the Cardinal women were led by the fifth-place efforts of Julia Mark ’13 and Hannah Zimmerman ’13. Mark took fifth in the 1500-meter run with a time of 4:44.48, while Zimmerman placed fifth in the 10,000-meter run with a 39:25.19 clocking. Wesleyan was one of only two schools with multiple point-getters in the 10k (Williams was the other) as Nellie Triedman placed seventh with a 39:48.31 showing. The Cardinals also tallied four points in relay events; the 4×100 relay team of Lia Monti ’13, Kathryn Kulowski ’11, Kiran Sheffrin ’10, and Isabella Cucchi ’13 took sixth with a time of 50.78 seconds, while the 4×400 quartet of Monti, Sheffrin, Julia Frieze ’12, and Helen DeKorne ’12 clocked in 4:10.30 for an eighth-place finish. Sheffrin rounded out the Cardinals’ action on the track with an eighth-place showing in the 100-meter hurdles (16.70 seconds).

Wesleyan tallied four points in the field events as well. Three came courtesy of Kulowski, who placed sixth in the high jump (1.55 meters). Kora Shin ’10 took eighth in the javelin with a throw of 31.17 meters.

The Cardinals totaled 19 points, one more than ninth-place Conn. College. Williams took first in the meet with 188 points, winning for the 10th straight year and 18th time in the 25-year history of the event overall. Host Tufts took second with 144.5 points, and Middlebury was just behind, racking up 140.5 points.

The Wesleyan men were led by the record-setting effort of the distance medley relay team of Justin Spring ’10, Avniash Sridhar ’10, Chris Coleman ’10, and Matt Katz ’11. The quartet took fourth in the event with a 10:17.01 clocking, eclipsing the school record (10:21.64), which was set in 2008, by more than four seconds (with Katz a member of that relay team as well). The fourth-place finish was one of two for the Wesleyan men on the afternoon, as Mike Moody ’10 took fourth in the javelin with a throw of 55.94 meters. Moody also placed seventh in the hammer throw with a distance of 46.73 meters.

Wesleyan’s other seven points all came on the track. Jack Pacelle ’13 took sixth in the 4000-meter dash with a time of 50.49 seconds, and Coleman placed sixth in the 800m with a 1:56.05 clocking. The 4×100 relay team of Andre Lima ’13, Immanuel Lokwei ’12, James Dottin ’13, and Pacelle placed eighth (44.67 seconds), rounding out the Cardinals’ action.

Wesleyan finished with a total of 19 team points, 0.5 points behind ninth-place Hamilton and half a point ahead of Conn. College. Williams took the team title with a team score of 167.5, winning its 20th NESCAC title. Tufts, which shared the 2007 title with Williams, finished right behind the Ephs with 155.5 points, and Bates (129) rounded out the top three.

The teams will return to Tufts later this week for the three-day New England Division III Championships, which begin Thursday.