Mathematics and economics major Luyang Yang ’10 is known around campus for his impressive guitar skills. Born in China and currently calling New York home, Yang sat down recently with The Argus to discuss music, mangoes, and Macy Gray.

Argus: Why do you think you deserve to be a WesCeleb?
Luyang Yang: I think everyone deserves to be a WesCeleb. I like to share everything about myself.

A: What are your campus involvements?
LY: I like music and I like to share it with the people. I’m in a Led Zeppelin cover band and The Beatles cover band. I play guitar. I’m co-president of the Wesleyan chess club and co-founder. It’s weird that they didn’t have one before I started in sophomore year. I like playing it and I’m not bad.

A: So you play guitar?
LY: I’ve been playing guitar for eight years. I’m preparing to get into graduate school for classical guitar. I also play some piano, and I play this instrument in the Chinese music ensemble, sanxian. It’s like a banjo-like instrument but it doesn’t have frets. And it’s covered in snake skin.

A: What is your favorite song, book, and movie?
LY: “I Try,” Macy Gray. “Lolita”….and “Barry Lyndon.” It’s about a guy in eighteenth century England named Barry Lyndon.

A: Do you have a place you like best on campus?
LY: Anywhere where there is a field of grass.

A: What’s your most embarrassing freshman year moment?
LY: For my birthday I was already really drunk and my friend made me do another shot and that put me over the edge. I pulled out my guitar and started singing Bob Dylan songs and then proceeded to throw up and then continue to sing and then throw up into a Summerfield’s to-go container.

A: Do you have a favorite fruit?
LY: Mango. I used to hate it because my mom made me eat it all the time but after not eating it for years suddenly I realized it is just delicious. Also, grapes—green grapes.

A: What’s your favorite thing about this campus?
LY: Definitely the people. I don’t get along well with my friends’ friends from their schools.

• David

Wow I wish I could have met Luyang Yang. He sounds so cool and sweet.