Film critic Molly Haskell came to Wesleyan Wednesday night for the Annie Sonnenblick Evening, part of the Writing Program’s speaker se¬ries. Haskell, who was born in North Carolina and raised in Virginia, spoke about her new book, “Frankly, My Dear: Gone With the Wind Revisited,” her connection with the South, and women in Hollywood today, and granted The Argus an interview after the talk.

Argus: What sparked your inter¬est in “Gone with the Wind”?

Molly Haskell: Yale came to me; obviously I have a Southern connec¬tion. I would never have done it on my own. It turned out to be perfect though. This book really brought in my Southernness, my feminism, my film education. I had fled the south because of segregation [when I was younger] and now was really the per¬fect time in my life to do it.

A: Do we need more Scarletts? Is there a modern day equivalent you can think of?

MH: I think we need women who are tough minded and don’t nec¬essarily want to be Scarlett. She has a brain and she uses it. There is no whin¬ing. She moves on [and lives] without a man. Forget about him! She figures out what to do in the new world and I think we need more of that quality.

A: What is your favorite movie?

MH: There’s a French one, called “Madame DuBarry.” Recently, well, let’s just say I like the Coen brothers. You don’t love every minute of every movie but I go see their films.
A: What defines a good or bad movie for you?

MH: Well, it’s really different within certain genres. I’m not crazy about horror films, I think they’re a young person genre. I like films where people talk. I like all the things you just don’t get much in movies these days: subtly, dialogue. I watch TV a lot now be¬cause there are better stories. TV has better stories, better plots, better roles for wom¬en than mov¬ies these days: like “Weeds,” “The Closer,” “Damages.”

A: What are your thoughts on women in Hollywood today? How did you feel about Kathryn Bigelow win¬ning the Oscar for Best Director?

MH: More women are directing, which is a good thing. But Hollywood isn’t necessarily concerned with women right now. Kathryn Bigelow is a won¬derful director and not the least bit interested in women in film. It’s not a good time for women in Hollywood. I’m pleased with [the Oscars]. [“The Hurt Locker”] was such a good film and it was high time for a woman to win.