Middletown

Tired of your water tasting like animal urine? So is the City’s Planning and Zoning Commission. The commission held a public meeting Wednesday to review changes to an ordinance dealing with animal ownership that would include keeping animals such as poultry, cattle, horses, goats, and sheep at least 75 feet away from wells and other water supplies.

The Hartford Courant

Maybe there is hope in the world: local mechanic Craig Comparone, who was about to be laid off, stopped by a convenience store on his way to work last Friday and bought a lottery ticket on a whim. The ticket, which cost ten bucks, turned out to be worth $1 million. Comparone said he plans to invest most of the money in order to pay for health insurance and give some to family.

The Middletown Press

If you were feeling claustrophobic on bar night, don’t fret: Public is expanding! After a several-month battle with the Planning and Zoning Commission—and a temporary suspension of their liquor license—over a bar and DJ booth that was added without the proper permits, their application to expand was finally approved.

The Middletown Press

Hartford

Thought that bullying people for lunch money ended in fifth grade? Not for Jamison Lynch. The 19-year-old is being charged with criminal attempt to commit second-degree robbery, third-degree assault, and disorderly conduct for beating up an acquaintance in order to steal his alcohol twice in one day. According to police, Lynch punched the victim in the face several times, demanded alcohol and money, found alcohol, and ran. It wasn’t until Lynch showed up a second time asking for more booze, though, that the victim finally decided to call the cops.

The Hartford Courant

If you felt guilty about some of your behavior after taking the Health Center survey, get ready for another guilt trip—apparently, drinking coffee is now something to feel bad about, too. On Monday, Connecticut became the first state to take part in National Caffeine Awareness Month. Governor M. Jodi Rell is one of the few governors to actually respond to the request from the Caffeine Awareness Association that each state acknowledge March as Caffeine Awareness Month in order to call attention to “caffeinism” and “caffeine withdrawal syndrome.”

PR.com

New Haven

New Haven residents are unhealthy, apparently. According to the Community Alliance for Research and Engagement at Yale, over half of the 1,200 residents surveyed do not regularly exercise and drink sugary beverages every day. The Yale School of Public Health hopes to work with community members to begin brainstorming new health policies.

The Yale Daily News

Ever wonder what Yale’s bar nights are like? If the nightclubs on Crown Street are any indication, the answer is belligerent. In addition to stabbings on the dance floor and riots in the street, the owner of Alchemy Nightclub and Club Elevate was recently charged with kicking a patron in the face as several other employees held him down. The recent eruption of violence has led to the proposal of a law that would ban underage patrons from clubs in New Haven.

The Yale Daily News