If you ever want to pull the nerves of a believing Jew, say that the Creation Story in Genesis is a polemic against Enuma Elish, the Babylonian Creation Epic—with which it shares key features and is “obviously” a response to it. Talk to a Christian about Jesus’ teachings being influenced by Hellenism, or to a Muslim about Muhammad being under the sway of Christianity (and also of Hellenism), and you will also get an uneasy response.

There are two key misconceptions concerning the cultural borrowings of religion on both the believers’ side and that of the non-believers. The believers, whom have indoctrinated me for better and for worse during my younger years, insist that the great truth of their religion not be shared by anyone else, and no other culture influenced said great truth.

The non-believers may say that clearly if religion by necessity changes with time, and truth is indeed absolute, then religion cannot be true—and clearly any belief system which has a complete identity shift—such as the Ancient Greek religion upon contact with Egypt or, as some believe, Judaism in becoming monotheistic from a polytheistic religion—cannot be true at all, and that people worship as is convenient or suitable for them.

If G-d is consistent and never faltering, why His rules seem to keep changing all the time? Are not the holy texts timeless and to be applied only so far as the texts extend? Or is G-d changing with us? But if G-d is changing, does it mean that He is not all-powerful?

And why on earth would G-d change when his worshippers encounter a new people whose ideas they like?

To answer the believers’ idea that G-d is not influenced by any other culture, in making a revelation, G-d, in embodying all of the world and all of humanity, speaks with the language of the time. There is nothing wrong with saying that the Hebrew Scriptures have a parallel in almost every regard to another literary work in Mesopotamia. G-d let His messages pass through the cultures of the time. If He did not do this, His words would be ignored entirely, because it would seem foreign to the believers and no connection would be made.

Even if one believes the Scriptures to have been extant since time eternity, there is a notion that what is perfect is given at the perfect time, and the two match up. As the first Christian Romans saw it, Jesus waited until the most perfect time in history—the Age of Augustus—to come upon earth as the manifestation of the Divine. Thus his words—as close as they are to the Hellenistic culture of the time—one could easily believe existed since before the world was created, since the times were meant to fit Jesus, and not the other way around.

A consistent notion of the Divine among many cultures is the idea that when you glimpse what is in the Heavens, you get something different each time. G-d, too, is subject to the changing cultures of humanity on earth. He changes the cultures in accordance with what He wants, hence Divine worship changes with the passing of time, so that He may express Himself differently in each Epoch according to His Will.

About Ezra Silk

I have been interested in journalism ever since I was an editor at my high school student newspaper, where I was involved in a freedom of speech controversy that was covered in the local newspaper as well as local television and radio outlets. The ACLU became involved, and the ensuing negotiations lead to a liberalization of my school's freedom of expression policy. I worked as a summer intern at the Hartford Courant after my freshman year at Wesleyan, reporting for the Avon Bureau under Bill Leukhardt and publishing over 30 stories. At the Argus I have been a news reporter, news assistant editor, news editor, features editor, editor-in-chief, executive editor, blogger, and multimedia director. I have overseen the redesign of wesleyanargus.com, founding the Blargus and initiating ArgusVideo at the beginning of my time as editor-in-chief during the spring of my junior year. During my senior year, I have co-edited the Blargus with Gianna Palmer and founded Argus News Radio, a 15-minute weekly show produced by WESU 88.1 on which I conduct a weekly segment interviewing seniors about their thesis topics. I have written over 70 stories at the Argus and continue to do reporting and blogging as much as I can.
  • Spencer W. Kimball

In 1976, those blasted Mormons received word from G-d that G-d now believe darkies were eligible for the priesthood.

Spencer W. Kimball, “prophet” at the time, received this revelation surprisingly at the same time that the federal government threatened to review his church’s tax exempt status (Hint: Obama – look at prop 8).

This same Kimball stated on an earlier occasion, while visiting native American children who were forcibly relocated from their tribes and educated by the Mormons in Utah (al a Australia and its aborigines) that the children were TURNING WHITE AND Delightsome.

Enjoy this Mormon apologists:

“The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos; five were darker but equally delightsome. The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation…. At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl-sixteen sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents on the same reservation, in the same Hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather. There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and delightsomeness. One white elder jokingly said that he and his companion were donating blood regularly to the hospital in the hope that the process might be accelerated.”

– Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, General Conference, Oct. 1960