There have been a variety of responses to my first post. My mom commented on my first post (hola mami!), and someone had a terrible case of gastroenteritis while reading, (drink more fluids!). However, many legitimate concerns emerged: should I keep my name attached to the blog? Will I regret this ten years down the road? I’m sure when my name is in the applicant pool, I will be googled, and one of the things my possible employer might see is a plethora of my sexcapades. This certainly won’t help my chances of being hired (or maybe it will), but this led me to a very important question: what is so bad about sex? Sex is a basic instinct, but so is hunger, and people do not get in trouble for having photos of them chowing down on a piece of cake that is bigger than my head. The American view on sexuality is one of the biggest paradoxes; at times we are so ashamed of sex that some people freeze up at the very mention of the word, but at the same time, people become successful in our society just based on their sex appeal and sexuality (ahem, my girl Britney Spears). I have no idea why this is the way it is. It could be religion (specifically Christianity), in which we are taught to resist any dirty sexual urges, and do something less fulfilling (missionary position anyone?). But at the same time, countries like France, which has a long history of religion, are much more relaxed about sex; I mean they have the Moulin Rouge.

This attitude in which people are ashamed of sex and having people find out, has affected almost every one. For example, I lost my virginity to this girl I was madly in love with, after we were done, she high fived me and said “we’re fuck buddies now, but don’t tell anyone.” So many things are wrong with this, first, who high fives after sex? Second, why would she be quick to hide the fact that we had sex? I mean, in looks I give myself a six (drunken seven), and the sex was good. I mean, she made it clear that she was in it for hooking up, not for my charm and wit.

So this feeling in which we feel ashamed for wanting to feel good and have fun, which leads us to feel bad about our bodies, and makes it really hard for us to let go and lose ourselves in the moment, which I feel is essential to being happy.

Anyway, I believe The Di Vinci Load is on pay per view, so I must depart.

Stay sexy,

Dylan

About Ezra Silk

I have been interested in journalism ever since I was an editor at my high school student newspaper, where I was involved in a freedom of speech controversy that was covered in the local newspaper as well as local television and radio outlets. The ACLU became involved, and the ensuing negotiations lead to a liberalization of my school's freedom of expression policy. I worked as a summer intern at the Hartford Courant after my freshman year at Wesleyan, reporting for the Avon Bureau under Bill Leukhardt and publishing over 30 stories. At the Argus I have been a news reporter, news assistant editor, news editor, features editor, editor-in-chief, executive editor, blogger, and multimedia director. I have overseen the redesign of wesleyanargus.com, founding the Blargus and initiating ArgusVideo at the beginning of my time as editor-in-chief during the spring of my junior year. During my senior year, I have co-edited the Blargus with Gianna Palmer and founded Argus News Radio, a 15-minute weekly show produced by WESU 88.1 on which I conduct a weekly segment interviewing seniors about their thesis topics. I have written over 70 stories at the Argus and continue to do reporting and blogging as much as I can.
  • !

don’t ever stop being amazing.

• A normal European’s comment

When watching american films / tv series or reading the daily press/ watching news reports about by people like Sarah Palin on the one hand and oppposite views like “Burning Man” i think I tend to represent a fair percentage of foreigners who dont really understand your societies preoccupation with sex and nudity, either in the good or the bad.

Maybe less preoccupation with the issue and more acceptance that nudity and sexuality is normal and not perverse.

My sister lived in Atlanta for a couple of years and went to a park which had a little pond. Her son was 2 and her friends daughter was also 2. The kids wanted to play in the pond so the two mothers took off their kids clothes and let them play naked in the pond. A cop came to them and reprimanded them for encouraging paediophiles! Do I need to comment this issue. For a normal person kids are asexual objects until puberty, and even after that a normal adult should be able to control his or her desires when seeing a teenage boy or girl.

Or when a nipple appears for 0,1 seconds on a TV awards ceremony. And the whole country discusses nothing else but this for days. If Tiger Woods likes to to sleep with trashy women, this should be of no interest to anyone, thats his and his wife’s problem.

Maybe you and your fellow students should simply start ignoring the sex issue and place it back where it belongs, into the private and intimate realm.

France is a good example, but not the “Moulin Rouge”. About 0,00001 % of French go to there. Rather look at an average French film, they are relaxed with their nudity and sexuality. Its normal. No-one makes a bid deal about it. Thats the stage your society should reach.

One issue that always puzzles me. Why do actors in tv series or films always keep on their underclothes when having sex. Does everyone do it that way?

• er

is this column going to be all vague and obvious assertions about gender and sexuality with a couple precious asides thrown in for color? how is this not what almost everyone at wes thinks (except maybe that you’re a six)?