On Feb. 5, the University Health Center sent out a campus-wide public health advisory e-mail alerting students of an observed spike in cases of gastroenteritis, the symptoms of which include vomiting and diarrhea.

According to the e-mail, viral gastroenteritis spreads easily in densely populated environments. Transmission of the infection normally follows the fecal-oral route, for example through a failure to properly wash hands before eating.

“We see gastroenteritis all of the time,” said University Medical Director Dr. Davis Smith. “Every year or two we see enough of it to [send out an e-mail]. We want people to know that we try and control spread and also to forestall a sense of ‘why didn’t you tell us?’”

The Health Center sent the e-mail as soon as they noticed the increase in cases. For some, however, the e-mail arrived too late.

“I got the bug before the e-mail was sent out, but I did know of others who had the same thing,” said Kyle Chapman ’13. “I was throwing up, nauseous, had sudden bowel movements, and had a slight fever.”

Gastroenteritis is commonly known as the stomach flu, although it has no connection with influenza. According to Smith, while influenza can be transmitted through respiratory droplets via indirect contact with an infected person, gastroenteritis is transmitted only through direct contact.

According to the e-mail, the time of maximal viral shedding, the most contagious phase of the sickness, occurs during the first 24 to 48 hours. Previously infected individuals become non-contagious after 72 hours.

“I went to bed Sunday night and woke up Monday at like three in the morning puking, and that lasted until Tuesday night,” Chapman said. “It didn’t last long; it was just a lot and very intense in a short amount of time.”

As precautionary advice, the e-mail emphasized the importance of proper sanitation and advised students not to share food or personal items.

“The sick person needs to be washing their hands and not touching other people’s food,” Smith said. “People who are well need to be washing their hands and protecting their food from exposure. If I’m controlling the exposure between your body and my food, then I’m not at risk.”

Students who believe they have contracted the bug are advised to stay in their rooms and rest. Direct questions and concerns should be addressed to the Health Center at (860) 685-2470.

Doody uck

• Peanuts in my turd

I just took a crap and peanuts came out whole! Last week it was tomatoes and corn

• yucky

doody

• Mr. Hankey

Corn is good. It provides texture.

• Your Butt

Popcorn on the other hand scratches

• Illegal Immigrant Butt

Beans spray out and coat the underside of the seat