The way the screen has depicted love between a man and a woman (Heteronormativity! Oh heavens!) has changed—some may say evolved—over the years, but one type of love has survived history with minimal changes: The Bromance. While the portmanteau term is a relatively new linguistic phenomenon, the Bromance has been a part of the filmic psyche, so to speak, since movies were first made. From Abbot and Costello to Bob and Bing to Bill and Ted, two guys spending nearly all their time together, going on adventures, and making sexual innuendo is a staple of cinematic relationships that isn’t going anywhere any time soon. But out of so many films about Bromance, five truly stand out, at least for me. So if you ever need a paradigm, something to fill in the spaces when you tell your friend that ze is the X to your Y, here are the Top Five Ultimate Bromance Movies. DISCLAIMER: This list is almost entirely personal opinion. Please don’t kill me.

Number 5: The Road to El Dorado

This highly underrated animated flick from DreamWorks languished in the shadow of the juggernaut that was The Prince of Egypt, but it depicts one of the best Bromances ever seen in an animated movie. Figures, since the main inspiration for RTED came from the granddaddy of cinematic Guy Love: Bob Hope and Bing Crosby’s Road To… movies. Our two heroes, Miguel (the laid-back, idealistic one) and Tulio (the more uptight, snarky one) are played by Kenneth Branagh and Kevin Kline, who banter and bicker their way through a rollicking adventure in a pre-Columbian fantasy land called El Dorado. They fight like an old married couple, they sleep together, they briefly get naked together, and they have sword fights with each other. I want their Bad Bromance.

Number 4: Hot Fuzz

Not only is this film enjoyable for its incisive-yet-affectionate digs at every action movie cliché possible (“Have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air?”), but it’s great fun because of the chemistry between the two main characters. Nicholas Angel is a no-nonsense London police officer who practically singlehandedly keeps the city free of crime with his nigh superhuman skills in everything from riot control to paperwork. Danny Butterman is a slacker village constable who got the job through blatant nepotism yet dreams of imitating his cop action-movie heroes like Keanu Reeves in Point Break. Together, they unleash a firestorm of epic gunfights and one-liners upon the evil plaguing the village. My, my, here come the fuzz.

Number 3: Sherlock Holmes

You know that a film is going beyond simply Bromantic when it includes the exchange “And my dog–” “OUR dog”. Yeah, it’s not even subtext in this one. But even if you don’t have your Slash Goggles on, Holmes and Watson are the ultimate crimefighting team (well, alright, they do have heavy competition from the Hot Fuzz crew). Watson functions as the long-suffering straight man (so to speak) who can open up a can of sword-cane on London’s Most Wanted at a moment’s notice. Holmes is deliciously snarky, somehow all-knowing, gives out the most calculated beatdowns ever seen on film, and peppers his dialogue with sexual innuendo (often directed at Watson, of course). Like the other Bromances mentioned on the list, the true appeal of Holmes and Watson is not only how badass a team they are, but their devotion to each other, even when the shit has hit the fan. Or when the gratuitous female love interest is about to hit the conveniently placed bandsaw.

Number 2: Animal House

Why is this film different from all other films on this list? It concerns a very specific type of Bromance: Fraternity brothers. Animal House doesn’t have nearly the amount of subtext as some of the other selections, but even if you disapprove of Delta Tau Chi’s antics, you can’t deny that Delta House is like a big brotherly family. Well, the kind of family that would sneak horses into the dean’s office and throw depraved toga parties.

Number 1: Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

As The Great Oracle TVTropes says, this one’s plot is exactly what it says on the tin. Except it’s not. Harold and Kumar indeed go to the famed burger joint, but not before the duo has plenty of adventures along the way, like contending with the realities of being Asian-American in the 21st century, smoking marijuana with a cheetah, and Neil Patrick Harris stealing their car. Like most of the other films on the list, Harold and Kumar follow the typical uptight straight man/loose, freewheeling foil formula, but it’s their surreal, too-ridiculous-to-be-true quest to relieve their munchies that spices it up and truly makes it worthwhile. That, and the social commentary.

• Slater ’12

No Top Gun?
    No Lethal Weapon?
    No Star Wars?

Wookies be bros to, yo?

• Colin ’11

Superbad?
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?
    Zoolander?
    Fight Club? [inner bromance?]
    ANY Kevin Smith movie?

• Chung ’12

how can you forget frodo and sam..

• JazzHarper

The Wild Wild West (1999) consciously plays this theme to the hilt. (Can’t believe I just wrote that…)