After last year’s record-breaking 22 percent increase in applications for the class of 2013, the Office of Admission was unsure of what to expect with the effects of the economic downturn. They had no need for concern; an estimated 10,640 common applications are currently under review – a six percent jump from last year’s tally by this date. The class of 2014’s Early Decision I (ED I) applicants remained roughly the same as last year’s—following a 35 percent leap the year before.

Other selective universities and liberal arts colleges also saw a rise in applicants this year. Brown University received 20 percent more applications than last year, while Duke University’s applicants rose by 12 percent. The University of Chicago’s applicants jumped by 42 percent. Wesleyan’s Senior Dean of Admissions Greg Pyke said he’s not sure what may have led to this year’s statistics, especially in regards to the University’s ED II pool.

“We’re glad,” Pyke said. “We’re delighted, but right now I just don’t know the reason.”

Applications from students of all different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds remained high.

“American minority students make up 28 percent of the applicants—the same percentage as last year but in a bigger pool,” Pyke said. “The biggest increase is from African Americans, but all groups got larger.”

As with the ED I pool, a larger number of students from areas beyond the surrounding New England area applied. The number of applicants from outside the Northeast rose by 11 percent.

The number of international applicants rose by nearly 15 percent, further expanding the University’s geographic diversity.

“It is exciting to see some results of recruitment initiatives, for example in India and Latin America,” Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Nancy Meislahn wrote in an e-mail to The Argus.

The test score profile of applicants increased slightly in this year’s pool, although Pyke emphasized that scores are only one aspect of the criteria for acceptance.

“We call it a reading process for a reason,” Pyke said. “Each time we open an application, we respond to everything that’s there. We don’t have a skeleton or cutout we’re looking for. We want to know who you are, what you’ve achieved, and what experience you might bring to the table.”
The Office of Admissions will continue to read and process applications until spring. Early Decision II candidates will hear back in mid-February, while Regular Decision applicants will receive a response by early April.