Wesleyan University has brought a lawsuit against former Vice President of Investments and Chief Investment Officer Thomas Kannam and nearly twenty other defendants, alleging breach of fiduciary duty, civil theft, breach of contract, fraud, statutory forgery, and unjust enrichment, among other charges. Kannam was dismissed from his position at the University on October 13. The University filed its suit in the Middletown Superior Court on November 24, requesting a hearing which could force Kannam to put aside a $3 million pre-judgment remedy that would be paid to the University if it eventually wins its case. There was no public announcement, and Wesleyan’s Director of Media Relations, David Pesci, declined to comment.

According to the University’s pleadings, Kannam violated his contract by devoting most of his energies into personal “entrepreneurial ventures,” which diverted his attention away from his duties at Wesleyan. The University also claims that Kannam improperly exploited his privileged access to Wesleyan’s financial information, some of which was proprietary, for his own benefit, and that he used the University’s funds for his own business and personal expenses.

“We deny all of the allegations in the complaint,” said Stephen J. Fitzgerald, Kannam’s attorney. “If there’s going to be a hearing on the pending application for a pre-judgment remedy, we will at that time put on our defense.”

According to the complaint, Kannam began improperly profiting from his position at Wesleyan in 2001, when he and Ralph Gill, an associate, formed Cross Border Capital Advisors, or CBCA. The University released what it claims are some of Kannam’s email correspondences, sent from both his official email address and a personal account he accessed regularly on his work computer, to support its charges.

“Through my portfolio at Wesleyan, I have a window on some very interesting stock ideas,” Kannam allegedly wrote. “If possible I’d like to cherry-pick the best and capitalize on them. Would it be possible to feed Mike’s [Zaninovich] hedge fund and get paid some incentive on the performance of our ideas? Might be the fastest way to some real dough.”

The University claims that around 2006, Kannam became the owner and Director of Investments for the Belstar Group, where he received his own healthcare plan, pension, and corporate credit card, and continued to take advantage of information about Wesleyan’s investments. Belstar’s Managing Partner and Chief Investment Officer reportedly described Kannam as “our critical endowment asset.” The suit also alleges that Kannam took business trips on behalf of Belstar at the University’s expense.

Kannam is also accused of sitting on several corporate boards, including that of his father’s company, Advanced Device Technology Inc., which supplies infrared devices to the United States military, and Vietnam Capital Partners. Wesleyan says that Kannam failed to alert the University President of his involvement in these other boards, which his contract required him to do.

“Another board seat ($=equity)…Whoo, whoo, whoo, whoooooo! They’re adding up,” Kannam wrote in an email to his wife, according to the University.

The University claims that Kannam was aware that his activities represented a conflict of interest, and that he took steps to conceal them. He allegedly created presentations for CBCA under his wife’s name, and, according to the University’s complaint, worked with a partner at Belstar to “draft a letter to the University’s President from an alleged Korean dignitary,” that would conceal his involvement in outside entrepreneurial projects.

“We need to handle this discreetly at Wesleyan since there’s major turnover on our Board now and the new members that are joining take their fiduciary duty seriously in the Sarbanes-Oxley environment,” Kannam allegedly wrote to a CBCA associate in 2005. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act set higher standards for oversight by corporate boards in the wake of the Enron scandal. The suit also argues that Kannam was concerned about the arrival of a new President in 2007, and told his associates that he would have to “lay low.”

When Kannam started working at Wesleyan, his office was located in North College, the main administrative building. The University claims that he lobbied to have the Investment Office moved into its current location at 74 Wyllys Avenue in order in order to conceal his private ventures from his colleagues. The complaint claims that Kannam referred to his office as “The Taj” and used it primarily for his non-Wesleyan business.

The suit alleges that Kannam used a variety of the University’s resources for the benefit of his private ventures. He reportedly offered to have his staff at the Wesleyan Investment Office handle projects for Belstar. In 2007 Kannam allegedly reported that a hedge fund had retained the services of Wesleyan’s Quantitative Analysis Center (QAC), an interdisciplinary data analysis workshop, and that it had agreed to pay a fee of several thousand dollars. This fund was allegedly Belstar, which never paid for the services it received from the QAC. The University claims that Kannam recommended the hiring of several new employees so that he could focus more of his attention on his own ventures. Of one new member of his staff, Kannam reportedly wrote, “I’m so happy. With my extracurricular ventures heating up, he’ll help a lot.”

Finally, the complaint accuses Kannam of fraudulently using University funds for his own expenses on “countless occasions.” The suit alleges that Kannam routinely doctored expense reports to pay for golfing outings, international travel, and even a trip to the 2008 Super Bowl. He allegedly allowed his associates to travel to conferences under the pretense that they were financial advisors to the University. He is also accused of having received “double reimbursement,” when he paid for his expenses using his Wesleyan credit card and then submitted his expenses for cash reimbursement.

The University claims that Kannam’s misconduct was discovered in 2009 and led to his termination, although two days after his departure President Michael Roth sent an all-campus email announcing that Kannam had left to “pursue other opportunities.” The trial has not yet begun, and it remains unclear how the University assembled its case. The Argus will have more updates as new information comes to light.

• Not Quite There Yet

Not ethnic either. There are dozens of ethnicities in India. Maybe general stereotyping. The problem with that though is that Kannam himself led the way in mocking stereotypical Indians if the Wes e-mails are to be believed. This is similar to mocking the US citizens as beer guzzling yankee slobs who are missing teeth and live for NASCAR. Its neither race, religion, or ethnicity. Its simply mocking Americans through a caricature. Same goes with Indians – its just a caricature.

• Show Wes the MONEY

Has Kannam coughed up the $3 million yet or is he still trying to raise the funds? What happens if he doesn’t, does he go to jail?

• CT Yank in Court

THINGS ARE HEATING UP INCREDIBLY.

WES HAS JUST STARTED TO FILE OBJECTIONS TO THE DEFENDANTS’ MOTIONS.

WES IS IN IT TIL THE END.

GO ROTH!

118.00 03/01/2010 P OBJECTION TO MOTION
    TO DISMISS OR STAY

• kanom

“Another such victory and I come back to Epirus alone”

• Oucheroo

“Another such board seat and I come back to Heather with even more equity”

• Plutarch

“And there went Alexander, a victor against all, a man driven by virtue”

“He desired not pleasure or wealth, but only excellence and glory.”

• Testiclese

“Those who attempt to castrate the giant, in a battle where his legions and virtues fall short, shall suffer a cruel castration at the hands of the inevitable victor”

• Matthew

Sound Advice for Kannam

“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s”

• “W”

Mission Accomplished!

• Korean Dignitary

ABBA say that Kannam headed for own Waterloo.

• Bernie

Madoff say Kannam headed for lower bunk in my cell at Buttner

• OJ

OJ welcome Kannam to high country in Colorado. Bring gloves.

• Skilling

Got plenty of space up here in Minnesota. Bring research!

• Sup Ct Case Watcher

UPDATE

Big hearing next Monday on this case. March 8th.

Defendant Ralph Gill has hired a second lawyer. Neubert Pepe is the new additional counsel.

Legal fees must be really accumulating.

RALPH GILL
    Attorney: NEUBERT PEPE & MONTEITH PC(407996)
    195 CHURCH ST
    13TH FLOOR
    NEW HAVEN , CT 06510 Appear Date: 02/04/2010

Attorney: WILLIAMS & BARBER LAW OFFICES OF(413651)
    55 CHURCH STREET
    SUITE 800A
    NEW HAVEN , CT 06510 Appear Date: 12/21/2009

• The Final Oucheroo

The legal billing charges accumulating for the defendants is at least $10 to $25 grand per day. Boy does that add up quicker than a wedding in Mumbai for 1,000. Its larger than a lifetime’s worth of family trips to DisneyWorld. It’s more than five hundred 50 yard line tickets to the Superbowl. And after a number of months, its way more than a membership at Torrey Pines. WOW WOW WOW

Its just insanely crazy dude! Its growing at a rate faster than the national debt! I would have cried ‘uncle’ by now. Just simply devastating.

OucheROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BABY

• Bloodsport!

Gloating and enjoying other people’s misfortune !
    Keep it up

• Luke R Hornblower

Unbelievable story. Just spent hours reading all the comments.

Is Kannam a CFA charterholder?

• The Gloatmaster

Its called Schadenfreude

• Lawyers Always Win

Kannam Choices

1 Fight Wes – win or lose – and transfer much of your accumulated wealth to your lawyer ($400,$500,$600, more per hour? How many hours? 200? 300? 400? 500? more?) Do the math. It gets ugly fast. And it escalates exponentially.
    2 Lose to Wes and transfer whatever remains of your wealth to Wes. Add to that judgments, liens and possible bankruptcy if you run out of cash
    2 Suck it up, admit your mistakes, and seek a quick settlement. Its easier to start over via a confidential settlement. If you lose publicly in court, your restart becomes incredibly difficult

Of course you might win. Only you know if you are an innocent victim or a scammer.

• Can’t Wait For the Trial!

This is going to be nothing less than the trial of the century played out here in little old Middletown. Hopefully school will be in session.

Its got everthing a jury and the public could ask for!

International Intrigue
    Money
    Power
    Fame
    Family
    Wall Street
    The Rich and Famous
    Luxury Lifestyles
    Venerable Institutions
    Secrets
    Mystery
    National Sporting Events
    International Destinations

I just can’t wait until the first witness is sworn in.

‘Your Honor, I would like to call our first witness to the stand’

‘Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?’

‘I do your Honor’

‘You may proceed’

• Wizard

Surrender Dorothy! Toto too!

You have no ruby slippers.

You can’t go home.

There are no “do-overs”.

Professor Marvel has no more tricks up his sleeve.

Auntie Em cannot help you.

Jai Ho baby. The fat lady is about to sing.

• Math 101

Tick tock tick tock tick tock. I hear the sound of adding machines. Hours times billing rate plus expenses. Tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock

• Confuscious

Gloating and counting chickens not look good to judge, jury and Alumni donations.

• simon says

ru serious confuscious or just confused? the chickens hatched a long time ago.

• simon says

And yes, the chickens were counted. Their names are-

alleging breach of fiduciary duty

civil theft

breach of contract

fraud

statutory forgery

unjust enrichment

• Chicken Little

I am upset at the chicken named Civil Theft. That little bugger. He goes around stealing all the other chickens’ feed. Sometimes he teams with Unjust Enrichment and they go through the entire coop eating up all the feedstock.

• Keeping Tabs

From Wes’ Outside Legal Counsel Website –

Some of Murtha Cullina’s largest matters have been breach of contract cases. Most businesses transact their business by contract, and with the application of the economic loss doctrine and the language in many contracts that eliminates tort liability, we have stripped away the tort claims so that the litigation has been all about the contract. If we represent the plaintiff in these cases, we do what we can at the outset to get injunctive relief and prejudgment remedies to protect our client’s interest.

• Chicken Coop

Alright, Chicken Little and Civil Theft, back into the henhouse…

• Bloodsport!

What did you hens major in college: Freud?
    ( Schaden Freud)

• Chicken Little

Nope… Schaden Fraud

• Chicken Little

Unjust Enrichment studied in Iran

Breach of Contract and Breach of Fiduciary Duty studied with the whales in Hawaii

Statutory Forgery took a sculpture class in Italy

Civil Theft studied with Ann Landers to improve his manners.

• Legal Beagle

Boy, does Winakor have his shit together! The Kannam case was reviewed by every leader at Wes before it was filed. Now that is a buttoned up and ironclad approach. Too bad for the defendants. My money is on Wes!

“Any time there is a high level hiring or firing I’m involved from a risk management perspective,” Winakor said. “In this case, it turned out that there was a lot more to it. After the investigation, the president, the cabinet, the board, and I decided further action was necessary. Now, the lawyers representing us are working for the University, but I’m the contact. I manage the day-to-day.”

• anon

The Kannam case was reviewed by all of the best minds in the leadership of Wesleyan. Not a stone was left unturned. And it looks like Winakor did everything he could to resolve the issue before filing suit. That’s the mark of a wise and practical man. Its clear that Wesleyan leadership took a long and hard look at the case. They would not have filed suit unless they had more than a reasonable degree of certainty that they would prevail.

I really pity the defendants. They really need to figure out how to settle this suit. Once they enter depositions, the legal fees and expenses for them will skyrocket. If this thing is fully played out in public court, I really feel sorry for them and their families. They won’t win based on legal technicalities. Its really a shame. Very smart people who alledgedly could not resist temptation. Now they are paying the price. Such a waste. Let’s hope they wise up and do the right thing, and don’t pass the point of no return.

• Anony

The last thing these defendants will want is a jury trial. They are better off arguing before a judge. They can at least argue the law before the judge. With a jury, it’ll be all about the evidence.

• Telling the Truth

Indians are notorious liars. They tell you to your face one thing and they do something else. This is a fact of life….

• Steven Blumenthal

I would rather slit my throat than do business with a stupid Indian. Fuck them all. Kannam is a case in point.

• Ct Sup Court Watcher

KANNAM LAWSUIT UPDATE
    Looks like Kannam is making further desperate attempts to get the law suit dismissed based on ‘law’. I guess he does not want to face the music. I would love to read these memoranda. They must parse the law in unheard of ways. Let’s get on to the $3 million prejudgment remedy. Now that will be fun! I wonder who is footing the bill on all of this?

119.00 03/03/2010 D
    REPLY MEMORANDUM
    OF LAW IN FURTHER SUPPORT OF MOTION TO DISMISS…

• observer

Looks like Kannam etal are going to fight every inch of the way. That gets incredibly expensive. Just the coordination among defense attorneys costs a ton of cash, and that’s before anything is filed or hearings are even held. Unless of course the defendants are all acting independently to defend themselves, which is a possibility. In that case it would be every man for himself.

Really, spending a lot of money and time to get the charges dismissed is a losing strategy, unless there is irrefutable evidence that Wes fabricated all their evidence. That is doubtful. Arguing that Kannam had unlimited authority to hold multiple jobs is a tough sell. Or that he had explicit approval by the higher ups to go to Superbowls, PGA tournaments, weddings in India, Disney World, or Cambridge University is preposterous. There just seem to be too many smoking guns present if one is to believe Wes’ complaint.

However, maybe the contract with Kannam was poorly written with a lot of loopholes. But even if that were the case, some of the allegations seem to be independent of any possible contract language.

This is either a necesary move on Kannam’s part, particularly if he is innocent, or one of the most expensive Kamikaze crashes into the ocean of all time.

• One Amateur View

Kannam should consider posting the prejudgment remedy and then focus all his remaining resources on winning the case at trial with speed, not delay.

Unless the defense attorneys’ have an extremely high degree of certainty that they can get the case dismissed or the charges central to Wes’ argument reduced or eliminated, most of this money spent up front could be money down the rathole. Sure it helps prep the attorneys. Sure it helps to whittle away at the charges. But at the end of the day, is it guaranteed to help Kannam? Remember, it is the preponderance of evidence, not reasonable doubt that rules. Wes seems to have preponderance of evidence, which would suggest that the judge will send this to trial. So why waste all this money up front? Save it for the trial. Save it for expert witnesses. Save it for deposition preparation. Save it for exhibits. Save it for thorough legal research.

This money would be better spent preparing for and focusing on the trial (unless Kannam has in his possession evidence that completely and unambiguously exonerates him. Then going for dismissal makes complete sense)

• Colonel Kurtz

Hey Kannam, welcome to your hurt locker!

In case you don’t know what it means, here is a definition. ‘A place you go when you are painfully unsuccessful’. It gives true meaning to the catch phrase, ‘Oucheroo’. How amazingly ironic.

You need to think long and hard about whether you want this case to go the full course, right down to a jury verdict. Do you really want a group of random people, many of them hurt by the economic slump, to decide your fate, the fate of someone far wealthier than any of them? Or do you want to take control of your future, take your licks now, and get on with your life under your own terms?

Can you rely on your co-defendants? Don’t kid yourself on this one. Self preservation is a mighty powerful force.

What are your plans if you lose? Have you thought about that yet?

If they tell you your case is a slam dunk, don’t buy it. It’s not by any stretch of the imagination. And if your lawyers convince you to do a mock trial in preparation for the real thing, don’t rely on the results. It may help marginally to fine tune your defense, but it won’t represent the real thing. They never do. They inevitably raise false hopes.

Your trial is apt to be a spectacle once it commences. Are you prepared for that? You’ll be all over the papers day in and day out. It won’t be pretty.

Can you hold up under intense examination by the plaintiff’s attorneys? If you go in thinking that you are smart, you will be crucified on the stand. Even if you are innocent, this will be one helluv an ordeal. No one ever comes out undamaged, innocent or not.

Even if you win, what are your prospects for future employement? If everything Wesleyan says is true, yet you get off because of a poorly written contract, who is going to hire you? Who is going to trust you to do the right thing, regardless of contract “language”?

These are all imporant questions that you need to reflect upon. You need to assess what the implications are for both winning and losing. You need to assess the various outcomes and what they mean for you.

What do you do the day after you win?

What do you do the day after in the unfortunate event that you lose?

Kurtz out.

• Another anon

Dear “Observer” and “One Amateur View”,

I am so glad that you posted your original answers as to why Kannam is fighting for a dismissal:

1) that his contract allowed other work, and
    2) that he has the evidence to be exonerated.

Defending yourself because you’ve been wronged makes perfect sense.

Wouldn’t everyone do the same — even “Colonel Kurtz”?

• last call

so far most of what we have seen is a lot of Wes evidence. it may or may not have any veracity. with respect to the defense, we have at least one defense lawyer quoted (not evidence) and we have the post from defendant gill which attempts to minimize wes’ claims and divert attention to other issues broader issues, but offers little in the way of solid evidence (although he does appear to serve up some incriminating evidence against kannam as someone pointed out in an earlier post). the post may or may not be real. who knows?
    that aside, does anyone, anywhere have evidence (or even a viable theory) that kannam’s contract allowed other work or that kannam possesses the evidence to be exonerated? if so, state your case please. it’ll help draw this discussion board back to the case at hand.

• Colonel Walter E. Kurtz, Special Forces

I never defend myself. I do not care. I just go native.

• CT Sup Court Watcher

BIG COURT HEARING ON MONDAY IN THE KANNAM CASE. Will the ARGUS be there? Appears Motion to Dismiss will be the principle focus of the proceedings based on Case Detail Summary.

MMX-CV09-5007855-S – WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY v. KANNAM, THOMAS ET AL
    # Date Time Event Description Status
    1 03/08/2010 10:30AM Hearing Proceeding

• They can’t be serious?

YOUR HONOR, we ask you to dismiss this case. Kannam’s contract permitted him to do anything he wanted to do. It was a blank check without restriction. Wesleyan agreed to pay for everything under the sun, including personal expenses, and readily agreed to permit him to work anywhere outside of Wesleyan and at any time in order to make as much money as possible. His time was his own to use it as he saw fit.

Motion DENIED WITH PREJUDICE

TRIAL DATE IS SET FOR…….

• G.H.M.’12

You people should not be attacking Kannam. He is guilty until proven innocent. The US Constitution gives him this right.

• kanom

Kannam should win or the case dismissed. He met the obligations of his job. Administration dug up some dirt on him by going through his email and found some grounds to fire him. So they did. Court cant be bothered with internal university politics.

• kabob

Kannam should lose and the case goes to trial. He did not meet the obligations of his job. Brave whistleblower came forward and presented damning evidence. Whistleblower is hero. Court frowns on fraud, statutory forgery, unjust enrichment and breach of contract.

• Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Jr. PhD

I’ll have my mobile hot dog stand set up on Monday morning outside of superior court at 10:30a sharp. For every dog sold, you’ll receive one special ticket. If the case is dismissed each ticket holder will receive a free foot long hot dog courtesy of me, Apu

• Weekends Free

Another anon,

Back to work for you my friend. you have an important hearing on monday for your client (or yourself?) Better work all weekend. The hill you have to climb is huge. You have to get the judge to suspend all disbelief and get him to accept the fact that your client’s position at Wes was not full time, EVEN THOUGH HE WAS THE HIGHEST PAID STAFF ON CAMPUS. Was his job 9-5? At 5p was he no longer the Wes CIO? He was an officer just like Roth. At 5p does Roth cease being the Prez?

And pleeeeez, don’t offer the fact that the endowment did not suffer. its totally irrelevant. its meaningless. the fact that anyone would offer this excuse smacks of guilt.

My friend, your whole argument is farcical and a century’s worth of employment law is working against you from any angle imaginable. It is embarassing that a univ CIO would actually be so bold as to claim that he could hold other jobs besides the one he was hired to do. This is one of the most deficient excuses that has ever been offered as a defense.