Bouncing between the thought, history, and culture of the Asian world, the East Asian Studies Department is at once concise and difficult to define. A typical day for an East major is perhaps even more eclectic than the average, overcommitted University’s student: shuttling between classes like “Confucianism and Virtue Ethics” to “Modern China: States, Transnations, Individuals, and Worlds” and stopping by impromptu lectures from acclaimed Chinese dignitaries and scholars.

And yet, despite its prestige, many express worry for the Department’s future, having been heavily affected by the economic depression. Andy Zhou ’10, an East Asian Studies major and Freeman Fellow at the University’s Mansfield Freeman Center for East Asian Studies, revealed his sentiments in a Wespeak published in October, detailing the pending retirement of the Center’s longtime program director, Shirley Lawrence, brought on by the University’s Voluntary Separations Packages. In an effort to save money, Zhou claims the University and the East Asian Studies program lost one of its integral parts in a “direct attack on [East Asian Studies majors] interests.”

“[Lawrence’s replacement] won’t be working as many hours of she did. My concern is that she’ll be doing 75 percent of what Shirley was doing, and we’ll lose that 25 percent,” said Zhou. “Shirley was working overtime all the time. Without her, I’m not sure how it will all play out, but my main worry is that the overall quality of the program will be diminished.”

The current economic recession has put the department in an increasingly difficult position, as its own history and funding very much entwined with the financial heavyweights hit hardest. The University has always shown an interest in Asian studies, its first forays into the field beginning with missionary work in 1834. Classes in East Asian Studies would slowly begin appearing throughout the next century until the establishment of the major in 1973, helped hugely by donations from Mansfield Freeman ’16. Having taught in China just after graduation, Freeman developed a network of intellectuals and businessmen, studying classical Chinese philosophy and accepting a job at the Asia Insurance Co. in the 1920s, personally pursued by company founder C.V. Starr.

“I got into the insurance business by the back door,” said Freeman in a 1987 Wesleyan Alumni Magazine article. “But Mr. Starr was the reason I stayed in it. My initial confidence in him grew into real respect and love.”

As the long-time president of AIG’s life insurance chapter, Freeman donated heavily to his former University and the fledgling East Asian Studies program when proposed by professor Lawrence Olson, who had already established Chinese and Japanese language programs on campus, in 1973. Simply watching the department unfold was not enough; Freeman actively studied with the program in his old age, translating the work of ancient philosopher, Tai Chen.

The Freeman family continues to donate heavily to the department and the center that bears their family name, yet, with AIG’s near collapse last year; the family’s ability to contribute has been severely effected. The Freeman Foundation, which normally provides grants for students to travel in Asia posted a disclaimer on their website that “the Spring 2009 competition was the last in this generous grant sponsored by the Freeman Foundation… Freeman-ASIA awards will not be available for Summer 2009 and beyond.”

“It’s lamentable that it’s happening, not just to us, but to all the other departments, but as a long time benefactor of the Freeman family…we’ve been limited,” said Zhou. “I imagine when the economy gets better, much of this will turn around.”

However, the administrators and faculty of the East Asian Studies Department remain positive, despite new restrictions.

“With [the new position], some things may unfortunately slow down,” said Lawrence. “However, since the professors are also based in so many other departments, philosophy, history, anything, the academic part, that is the East Asian major won’t change… It’s one of the best on campus.”

Professor Vera Schwarcz, chair of the department and director of the Freeman Center, as well as a professor of history, is even more optimistic, seeing the downturn as an opportunity for growth, a chance for the department and the school to reassert its focus on what is most important.

“The whole university is making due with diminished resources,” said Schwarcz. “With less, we have to identify the core of our mission and refocus our energies on that. In this, we have an opportunity to grow. We’re keeping Mrs. Lawrence on our outreach program, she’s the best with it.”

However the department realizes that concessions must be made. Lectures and exhibition may not occur with the same frequency as they did in earlier years, but Schwarcz asserts that a leaner schedule can be used to highlight trends and a new curricular format for Freeman Center events can foster even more excitement in the East Asian Studies Department. Inspired by the strength and resolve of the department’s friends and benefactors, the faculty is looking forward for the future, despite momentary hardship.

“Its been wearying and difficult, but its important that we’re refocusing,” Schwarcz said. “We’re finding the core and we still see [the department] as the most attractive part of Wesleyan. It’s a gem.”