The men’s soccer team wrapped up its record-breaking season on Nov. 21, losing 2-1 in double overtime to the University of Rochester in the sectional semifinals of the NCAA tournament at Messiah College in Grantham, Pa. Despite losing in the second round of the NESCAC tournament, the Cardinals received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament and advanced to the third round after beating St. Joseph’s College of Maine and Western New England College the previous weekend.

The loss to Rochester was a heartbreaking one. The Cards took an early lead in the 16th minute off of a goal by Keisuke Yamashita ’10, his team-high fifth of the season. Tri-captain Nick Whipple ’10 was credited with an assist. The Yellowjackets tied it in the 54th minute, and regulation play ended with the score knotted at one. Austin Woolridge ’11 had a chance to give Wesleyan the lead with 27 minutes left, but his shot hit the crossbar. Neither team recorded a shot during the first overtime frame, but Rochester quickly took advantage in the second sudden-death period. Just 37 seconds in, the Yellowjackets netted the game-winner off of a header, ending the Cardinals’ season. Rochester outshot Wesleyan 20-8, but both teams notched three shots on goal.

This was the furthest Wesleyan has ever gotten in the NCAA tournament. In both 2005 and 2006, the team won its first tournament game and lost its second. This accomplishment is only one of myriad records the squad captured this fall, including a program-best, undefeated regular-season record of 10-0-4.

Keeper Adam Purdy ‘13 ended his first season with an .886 save percentage and 0.50 goals-against-average. This earned him NESCAC Rookie of the Year honors. Head coach Geoff Wheeler was also named the NESCAC Coach of the Year. Woody Redpath ’10, Nick Whipple ’10, and Purdy all received first-team all-NESCAC recognition; Purdy is the first rookie ever to receive first-team honors. Asante Brooks ’10, Keisuke Yamashita ’10, and Jacob Mergendoller ’11 all received second-team laurels. Tri-captain Jory Kahan ’10 was named a second-team CoSIDA/ESPN the Magazine Academic All-American. He is the first Wesleyan men’s soccer player to achieve this feat, and the only 2009 NESCAC player selected. The team received more good news on Wednesday as Purdy was named an ECAC New England Division III first-team All-Star, the only freshman to be so honored, and Co-Rookie of the Year.

This incredible season, marked with multiple individual and team achievements, will be one to remember. The team will lose seven seniors before next fall, but the experience gained by the rest of the squad should allow for successful seasons to come.