Despite the University’s growing reputation as the “epicenter of surrealist Brooklyn pop,” students and visiting bands regularly encounter a series of obstacles when securing performances. Among the problems plaguing the campus music scene are a lack of publicity, a communication gap between those receiving and those asking for funding for shows, and a poor reputation in the professional music industry, according to Director of Student Activities and Leadership Development Tim Shiner. 

With the newly formed Concert Committee—a subcommittee of the Wesleyan Student Assembly (WSA) created to fund student-run music events on campus—Donovan Arthen ’11, Committee Chair, hopes to remedy the kinks in the University music scene and broaden the horizon of shows offered. Through a thoughtful, budgeted process, the committee plans to increase the quality of the shows without decreasing the quantity. 

“It’s really going to be about trying to diversify the music scene on campus, while catering to student’s interests,” Arthen said. “That’s what it comes down to: who do students really want to see?”

The committee’s interests range from indie-pop, the area of expertise of committee member Will Schragis ’12, to hip-hop, the genre of choice of committee member Mike Rosen ’11. Committee members Amanda Contrada ’10 and Molly Foxworth ’12 were both selected to serve on the committee because of their previous experience in booking shows; Foxworth, for instance, interned the previous summer with Emerson Record Label and helped organize their Spring Break Tour.

With a budget of close to $80,000, the Concert Committee aims to bridge the gap between students looking to book shows and the SBC. 

“Oftentimes the SBC would feel like students would come in to book shows and ask for more money than they really needed,” Arthen said. “Whereas lots of students who were booking shows came in expecting to be undercut because they were going to this committee whose members didn’t really know what the appropriate price ranges were.”

According to Arthen, inexperience is not a downside for groups looking to book shows; rather, it gives the committee an opportunity to work closely with the student group. In the past, a lack of guidance resulted in poorly planned shows. The Concert Committee encourages anyone interested in booking a show, even those with no prior experience, to fill out a sign-up sheet in Usdan and draw up a proposal.

As far as rejections go, Arthen anticipates that this will prove to be the most difficult part of his job as Chair. He stressed, however, that the Committee’s goal is not to turn students away—although that will sometimes be necessary—but rather to modify their proposal and work with their budget. 

“The most difficult thing for me will be saying no to people,” Arthen said. “I hate being in a position where I have to sit there and say, ‘Well, your show is not going to happen.’ The trick is budgeting and making sure we don’t run out of money.”

Before approaching the committee, Arthen suggests that students know the band’s set-up time and the length of its set.

“Anticipate problems, and know your location,” he said. “If you keep all of these things in mind, you will put together a successful show.”