The women’s soccer team handily defeated Mount Holyoke on Thursday, 4-0, to improve its overall record to 3-1-0. The victory was the team’s third in a row, all of which have come by shutout. Wesleyan has also held its opponents scoreless over its last 284:38 of play, putting the Cardinals within striking distance of the school record of 356:40, set by the 1993 team.

The Cardinals began their offensive attack in the first half with Dasha Battelle’s ’11 first goal of the afternoon just 6:57 into the game. Battelle fired the ball into the back of the net off a centering pass from Taylor Stevenson ’10. Maddy Harrington ’11 gave the Cardinals a 2-0 lead off a serve from Kaylin Berger ’13 with 1:17 left in the first half.

Entering the second half up 2-0, Wesleyan continued its aggressive play. Battelle netted her second goal of the contest and third of the season just over eight minutes into the second half off a feed from Kaitlin Ashley ’11. Co-captain Beth Kenworthy ’10 provided the final point with a tally at 69:12, with Stevenson getting another the assist.

In the net, Clare Colton ’12 and Kate Connolly-Smithwick ’13 combined for three saves to preserve the shutout.

“Mount Holyoke was a good win,” said Cora Lautze ’11. “More so than Smith, we kept up the intensity and quality of play—it was good to see us improve in this way. This is something we need to continue if we want to start playing with the upper-level teams.”

Wesleyan has a stern test on Saturday, as NESCAC rival Tufts comes to town. Wesleyan is just 1-8-0 in its last nine contests against the Jumbos, with the win a 1-0 shutout in 2005. Last season, the Cardinals fell in Medford 3-0. Saturday’s action gets underway at noon on Jackson Field.