The Cardinal field hockey team suffered a 3-2 overtime loss to Colby on Smith Field on Saturday, its third loss in its last four games against the Mules. Four of the last five games between the squads have gone to overtime, with each team winning two OT affairs. Wesleyan fell to 0-2 with the loss, while Colby improved to 2-1 overall and 1-1 in NESCAC play.
Despite the Card’s 10-1 advantage in shots in the first half, the teams went to halftime in a 1-1 deadlock. Wesleyan struck first, getting an unassisted tally from Alex Bean ’11 at 13:23, but Colby answered 15 minutes later, scoring off a penalty corner on its only shot of the frame. Wesleyan also held an 8-2 edge in corners in the first half but was unable to capitalize.

Colby moved ahead 2-1 nine minutes into the second half, again scoring off a penalty corner, but Wesleyan got the equalizer from Bean with just under 10 minutes to play. Colby outshot the Cardinals 10-5 in the second frame, but six saves from Tori Redding ’13 and a stop by Liz Gauvey-Kern ’11 kept the score at 2-2.

The teams wasted no time going on attack in the extra period. Wesleyan had a chance to win early, but a stellar save from Colby goalie Liz Fontaine—one of her 11 in the contest—kept the Mules alive. They took advantage quickly, firing home the game-winner from close range just 2:45 into the extra period.

Wesleyan is back in action on Wednesday night, hosting Wellesley under the lights on Smith Field. The teams have alternated wins and losses the past four meetings, with the home team winning each time.