Most people have the one television event that they wait for all year. Some people get excited for the Super Bowl, gathering their friends and families together for football and beer. Others prefer a different option, perhaps a classy debate party during an election year. Me? I love an awards show, and ever since I can remember my family has celebrated the Emmys by gathering around the TV with lots of Chinese food and even more commentary.

I have high hopes for this year’s Emmy Awards. After two seasons of uncomfortably underwhelming hosts (I’m looking at you, reality TV show hosts), we now have the likable and witty Neil Patrick Harris running the ceremonies. Additionally, there are more nominees in each category this year, allowing for more deserving (and maybe some undeserving) shows and actors to be recognized. This idea seems nice enough. And cable shows really triumphed this year in terms of nominations in the major categories, so it seems fun—in a schadenfreude sort of way—to watch cable shows take home the big awards at an event televised by network TV.

But I’m going to present an idea that some may be surprised to hear from me, lover of all things television and all things Emmy: I’m not entirely convinced that the Emmys actually matter. This column is supposed to deal with television in terms of trends and broader culture. But when I tried to think of some kind of profound thing to say about the Emmys, it all sounded… well it sounded like a stretch.

I considered the fact that maybe the Emmys are a nice public way for critically acclaimed shows with lower ratings to find viewers. But while this may sometimes be the case, an Emmy win is no guarantee for more viewers (see: “Arrested Development,” sigh). 

And, interestingly enough, the Emmy voting process, which seems only slightly more complicated than the Electoral College, was changed this year to eliminate the “blue-ribbon” panels, leaving the vote up to the television academy at large. Many people worried that the elimination of these panels would lead to a total revolution in Emmy nominations, in which these critically acclaimed shows would be left in the dust. But the list of nominations looks relatively similar to last year’s list. 

Then I started looking at the acting nominees, searching for a pattern. And I found some pretty obvious ones: every single nominee in the Outstanding Lead Actor or Actress category is white. And “Mad Men” is the only comedy or drama nominated for writing that has a woman credited for a nominated episode (albeit still paired with a man). However, I believe these issues are part of a larger issue in the television industry in general. It’s obviously a problem, but one that would exist whether or not people won awards.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely think television matters; if I didn’t, I might have to think about giving up this column. I think it’s a terrifically fascinating and important part of American culture. And I get extremely frustrated by those people who think television is all trash or is to blame for all of our national problems.

But the Emmys air once every year. They get extremely low viewership for an awards show, and other than people in the television industry and people like me, most people don’t really pay attention to the outcome. I also don’t think that the winners are the be-all-end-all in television talent and glory. I don’t think that all the shows that lose in the comedy race are intrinsically unfunny. And as worked up as I may get when someone wins or loses at the time the Emmys air, I can honestly say that when I started writing this week’s column, I couldn’t remember half of the people who won last year.

But make no mistake. This Sunday evening I will be sitting on my couch eagerly awaiting the start of the Red Carpet with a carton of General Tso’s tofu in my right hand and the remote in my left, hoping for a fun musical number and having a blast. Because at the very least, the Emmys get people talking about television: they get people to discuss what they like and why they like it. They may even get people to take television a little more seriously and possibly discover a few shows they didn’t know about before. And most of all, they’re an excuse to take a break from work to yell at the television with your friends, look at fancy dresses, and keep a running tally of the Wesleyan alumni you spot in the audience.

So without further ado, I will share some of my Emmy picks in races that I found interesting or noteworthy:

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: I have to choose Elizabeth Moss (“Mad Men”) for so many reasons, but at the top of my list is her conversation with Pete in the season finale of the second season. Chills!

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Michael Emerson (“Lost”) for also giving me chills. But a way creepier kind than the ones Elizabeth Moss gave me.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Alec Baldwin (“30 Rock”). I actually cannot look at Alec Baldwin anymore without thinking Jack Donaghy. He just is Jack Donaghy. Also, Tony Shalhoub is nominated? Really? Again? Can’t someone intervene to stop this?

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: I actually really like all of the women nominated in this category. Now if only most of them were given better writing and better shows to showcase their talents. 

Outstanding Drama Series: I’m torn between “Mad Men,” “Big Love,” and “Lost.” “Lost” had an intriguing and inventive fifth season, “Big Love” is finally getting some much-deserved Emmy love, and “Mad Men’s” second season was even better than its Emmy-winning first season. I’m going to have to go “Mad Men” on this one.

Outstanding Comedy Series: Absolutely “30 Rock.”