Dear Class of 2013,

It’s your first week at Wesleyan so before you head to that “mandatory” hall meeting or that (un)forgettable night of Around the World, please give me but a moment to offer some words.

WELCOME.

It is orientation week at wonderful Wesleyan University, and that means ample festivities, friend requests, and photo uploads! Relish in the week free of assignments, but undoubtedly full of nervous banter. Thinking back to my own freshman year jitters circa Fall 2006, one of the frequent standout states of alarm was: WHAT AM I GONNA WEAR?

A week filled with endless socializing presented itself with the seemingly impossible task of fashioning myself anew for each event and interaction. In meeting all these new people, I felt like I was expected to give a complete and polished example of myself each time I met people – whatever that example was supposed to be. Whether you’re concerned with your overall look or not, first impressions endure – good or bad.

The transition from high school triathlete to Eclectic varsity dancer on furniture made it undeniably clear that my mind and body had changed. I quickly learned that Wesleyan has a definitively unique and refreshing sense of style.  A sort of aura, if you will, that has helped me figure out what I want to do in and out of the classroom – and how I want to look doing it.

Through the artsy, hipster, annoying liberal arts stereotypes that are (sometimes, rightfully) hurled at Wesleyan, I remain confident in our collective ability to express ourselves through fashion. I won’t lie and say that this is a completely open-minded campus, where all aesthetics are loudly applauded. However, I will assert that despite what the Village Voice or Gawker would like to yap about, we are not all cut from the same cloth – and that goes for label loyalties and waist sizes. Not everyone subscribes to the tight fit, whimsy of glitter, or perfectly pressed polo. But these are all looks that are prevalent and can be appreciated at this equal opportunity bastion of fashion.

There have been numerous incarnations of blogs, columns, and soapboxes about fashion made for and by the Wesleyan community. My aim is not to tell you what is “hip,” “cool,” or “good,” because that would just display really poor diction. I will, however, try to offer up information about great local shops, coverage of the annual fashion show, and any other scintillating things that happen to cross my way.

All I ask is that you keep an open mind, as college is a time for change. In your years here, your sense of style can completely change, stay exactly the same, or perhaps create a harmony of the two. A more refined you. Whether you gain more concern with popular styles or personal fit, your look is bound to change based on this new environment known as college – known as Wesleyan.

Let the games begin.

About amchung

Allyson Chung is a member of the Class of 2010. Born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, she is an American Studies major with a concentration in Media and Popular Culture. Her interests run the gamut of fashion, music, marginalized spaces, sexual politics, and general global social hypocrisies, to name a few. She is the Vice President of the Eclectic Society, a co-coordinator of the Traverse Square tutoring program and has interned at Victoria's Secret and Liz Claiborne/DKNY.
  • 09090909

WE LOVE YOU CHUNG
    – CLASS OF 09

“poor diction?” or a sassy and informed sense of fashion that warrants a listen? I hope you DON’T stay objective…