When Anwar Batte ’13 went online to see his room selection last month, he was surprised to see that he had two roommates.

“I was like, ‘Oh, a triple?’ I remembered reading [that it was a possibility] but I didn’t even think about it,” he said.

With the University’s plan to increase each class size by thirty students for the next four years, Director of Residential Life (ResLife) Fran Koerting told The Argus that about ten percent of freshmen will be housed in triples each year.

The class of 2013, which is comprised of 745 students, is considerably larger than the average class size, which hovers around 720 students. The class of 2012 was the only class in the past four years that had no triples. Even with the planned increase in class size, the new freshmen have fared better than the class of 2011.

“As it turned out for this year, we are only using eleven tripled rooms,” Koerting said in an e-mail to The Argus. “The largest number of triples used was for the class of 2011. That year we had 28 triples.”

To accommodate for the larger class size while tripling as few students as possible, ResLife converted lounges in the Clark and Fauver dormitories into double rooms. If students were tripled, they were placed in the Butterfields, which have the largest rooms.

ResLife has promised to “de-triple” anyone who is unhappy with the living situation by the beginning of second semester. Students who wish to leave their triple will likely move into a single room. This puts students like Batte and his roommates, Adam Isaacson ’13 and Gabe Castanon ’13, in the position of deciding whether or not they want to move again mid-year.

“We were pretty early on the list to be de-tripled and we were asked, but the alternative was a single and we all decided we’d rather stay here,” Isaacson said.

“We talked to each other early on,” Batte added. “I think we’ll get along.”

In light of the 120 additional students who will be roaming around campus in the next four years, ResLife is in the process of arranging for more upperclassmen housing.

“New rooms will be created on the first floor of 156 High next summer to provide more sophomore appropriate housing, and we have identified houses that can be converted to undergraduate housing for seniors the following summer,” Koerting said.

Although ResLife is preparing for the increase in the student population and plans to convert all triples back into doubles, Koerting said that students housed in triples often prefer their triples to singles.

“We mostly hear complaints from the parents, and as soon as the students contact each other, they are no longer concerned,” she said.

Miriam Olenick ’13 lives in a triple in Butterfield C.

“My parents were a little pissed,” Olenick said. “But I don’t really care that much.”