The Wesleyan Student Assembly is pleased to announce that Roger Cohen, a New York Times columnist and International Herald Tribune editor-at-large, will give a lecture entitled “The New Middle East and its Challenges for America” on Wednesday, March 4 at 8 p.m. in the Memorial Chapel. This event will be free and open to the entire Middletown community.

There are two reasons Wes students should show up en masse for this event. The first is that the lecture will be an incredible opportunity to hear a world-class journalist expound on a pertinent topic beyond his usual 800 words. Over the course of his distinguished career, Roger Cohen was named editor-at-large of the International Herald Tribune and international editor-at-large for the New York Times. In his column for the NYT editorial page, he has written on topics ranging from Iran’s Jewish population to the role of race relations in understanding America. He is an exceptional journalist and thinker, and his talk is sure to be thought provoking.

The second reason Wes students should attend this lecture is to show support for the New York Times Readership Program. Recently, the Argus reported that Student Affairs and Academic Affairs will not be contributing $10,000 to maintaining the program next year. This is very troubling, as the Readership Program’s value as a facilitator of discourse is far great than its relatively minor financial cost.

Additionally, through the New York Times Readership Program, the WSA is able to bring speakers to campus for free, with no cover charge. Mr. Cohen is also a high-profile speaker that normally could cost over $10,000 in fees for his appearance. Free annual access to the speaker’s bureau of the Times is something that fits in with our core University values of educating minds that can effect change in the world. It should not fall by the wayside.

So, bring your friends to see Roger Cohen give a stimulating talk and support the Readership Program. Taking advantage of a special privilege such as this shows the Administration how invaluable free delivery of the New York Times can be.

The WSA hopes to see you on Wednesday at 8 in the Chapel.