Members of the Local 513 Union representing the University’s Clerical and Secretarial workers and the University Human Resources Department officially ratified the workers’ new contract. The contract, updated every three years, provided pay increases to University union employees—seen as necessary to compensate for the rising cost of healthcare premiums and other living expenses—and ensured that union wages remain comparable to employees with similar positions in nearby universities.

Both the outcome of the negotiations and the civil atmosphere in which they took place satisfied both parties.

“It was a great success that needs to be shared by everyone – the members, stewards and Human Resources,” said Migdalia Pinkney, Administrative Assistant in the Center for Community Partnerships and Assistant Chief Steward. “I was very pleased that it was a respectful and professional negotiation.”

The contract, which became effective on July 31 following the expiration of the previous contract, increases union wages by three percent the first year, four percent the second year and five percent the third year. However, the cost of Union members’ Cigna insurance premiums will also increase by 33.3 percent. This increase will be delayed until July 2011, giving wages time to adjust first before the agreed-upon rise in healthcare costs. 

In light of these issues, this year’s negotiations were initially approached with caution. Contract talks last year between Physical Plant workers, members of the Office and Professional Employees’ International Union (OPEIU) and the administration turned tense over the administration’s proposal to double the cost of insurance premiums without substantial pay increases or other compensation for union members.

Knowing that insurance costs would be discussed, Pinkney and other Union members entered the negotiations anticipating similar tension. However, there were clear changes from the previous year’s mood.

“Having heard stories about how different it was here at the University three years ago and the hard times of other unions, I was very pleased at how it all went,” Pinkney said of her first negotiations with the University. “We came in with an attitude – we thought that they would put up barriers.”

During negotiations last spring, the Physical Plant workers were dissatisfied that under the proposed insurance increase, they would be paying the same insurance costs as other members of the faculty who receive higher annual salaries. In addition, members were frustrated by a reduction in staff over time as the number of University properties continued to increase. Negotiations stalled for 10 months over this issue, but were eventually resolved after Physical Plant agreed to the increase in insurance premiums—the same 33.3 percent which the Secretarial Union has accepted—in addition to other measures compensating for the rising cost of expenses and the nature of their work.

“I think Physical Plant sort of paved the way for us a little bit, and because of that I have to say that it really was not as stressful,” said Rhonda York, an Administrative Assistant in the Art and Art History Departments who was Chief Steward at the time of the negotiations. “It was less painful than people thought.”

Julia Hicks, Director of Human Resources, also found the talks mutually beneficial.

“Negotiations went very well and I believe that both sides felt that we reached a fair agreement,” she said in an e-mail to The Argus.

Union members had made ample preparations for these negotiations. Pinkney explained that a committee met six months prior to the talks to discuss the two main issues: health insurance and ensuring comparable wages to other counterparts, in addition to small clarifications of wording in the previous contract. In the end, this work paid off. 

“We were prepared to fight for what we wanted and I think that we got a fair contract,” York said. “We understand that while we as individuals may be having some financial trouble, so is Wesleyan. Wesleyan can’t work without us. We are a core group of people, along with Physical Plant, and we didn’t want to have to disrupt anything.”

Chief Steward Virginia Harris, an Administrative Assistant in the Earth and Environmental Sciences Department, explained that the wage increases in the last few years of about two percent were not sufficient to cover employee needs.

“We wanted better base wage increases,” Harris said. “We had fallen behind our counterparts in other universities…We did research before negotiations and found that our annual increases were not in line with what they are doing at Yale and Connecticut state schools.”

Wages in the Clerical and Secretarial Union are based on eight levels of base pay. Members receive step increases from the base pay each year as they progress and after eight years of employment receive a lump pay from which pensions and other benefits are calculated. Employees, however, were frustrated that the step increases were not reflective of current financial needs or sufficient in taking into account increases in technology and the level of complexity of the work required.

“By accepting a lump sum and smaller base increase, the pay wasn’t compounding like the others,” Harris said. “[This wage increase] makes it possible to live with the increased cost of living for a change.” 

According to York, the current 15 percent premium costs a family with an HMO plan about $160 per month. This same family will have to pay over $400 a month when the premium rises to 33.3 percent in January of 2011. Following the implementation of this increase, all University faculty and staff will be paying the same amount for their healthcare, regardless of position or salary.              

Since negotiations, the Union has formed a new committee that will analyze the current structure of the base pay levels and work to develop a new classification system. The new system will better take into account the wide range of jobs within the Local 513 Union, which includes librarians, secretaries, clerks and postal service workers on campus, and the rapid changes within each of these positions.   

“It’s going to be a lot of work but it has to be done,” Harris said.

Pinkney agreed that the current grid system no longer adequately addressed the necessary increases in skills and technology.

“Some positions now need a BA they’ve become so technical,” Pinkney said. “We have to look at the grid to make sure that membership is being paid at the right amount based on skills and level.”

The Union plans to have the updated grid completed by the expiration of the current contract in three years.

“It took a lot of work to meet, to focus and to be open minded about the information being brought forth,” Pinkney said. “I was very pleased that it was a respectful and professional negotiation. We hope to get the members more involved in this process and get them to be invested in our future here.”

• I am a secretary and work for a Plumber and pipefitter’s union but have no benefits of a union..is there a union for secretaries that I can become a member of