Charles Salas sits at President Michael Roth’s conference table, which is cluttered with old internal University documents and past issues of the Argus. The new Director of Strategic Initiatives, as of Dec. 1, is reading up on the University’s history as much as he can while his new office in South College is being prepared. Although what exactly Salas’s job will entail is still unclear, Roth has said he is confident that his previous experience working in a college environment will help the University continue to grow during these difficult economic times.

Although Salas has not yet been informed what exactly he will be doing, he is excited to be at Wesleyan. He said he has been extremely impressed by what he has seen during his first days on campus.

“I’m here because I think I can make a contribution,” Salas said. “[Wesleyan] is such a worthy cause. It has all sorts of qualities other places lack. As adventurous as it is, it’s still rigorous and that’s a wonderful combination.”

The only clue Salas has to what he will specifically be working on was in an email Roth sent to the entire campus, which explains the nature of his newly appointed position.

“Charles will work closely with me, the faculty and Cabinet officers to ensure that plans for new facilities, programs, and outreach are implemented in a creative, sustainable and effective way,” Roth wrote in the announcement.

Based on Roth’s email, Salas believes he will be working closely with the President on a variety of different initiatives.

“I think I will be working on whatever Michael thinks needs to be worked on now,” Salas said. “And he hasn’t told me yet.”

Salas referenced a previous role he held running the Research and Education Department at the Getty Research Institute as part of his wide array of experience that will be important to the University.

Roth chose Salas exactly because of this wide array of experience.

“He is a historian of enormous breadth and versatility,” Roth said in an email. “His experience in international cultural organizations, his collaborative work with scholars, writers, scientists and artists from a wide range of disciplines, make him an ideal addition to our community.”

Salas also has a personal connection to the University, which Roth noted would be an “added benefit.”

Salas’ connection to Wesleyan began with his Father, Saturnino Salas, who taught mathematics at the University and helped write a calculus textbook that is still sold at Broad Street Books today. The younger Salas attended Wesleyan in the 1980s to earn a Masters in Intellectual History. He cites this as the moment in his life when he realized he wanted to become an historian.

“I went to Wesleyan to gauge my continued interest in historical studies,” he said. “It was a very positive experience.”

After earning his degree, Salas considered moving to Los Angeles to begin his career. It was around this time that he first heard of Michael Roth. Wesleyan faculty encouraged Salas to study with Roth in L.A., and Salas followed their advice.

“ I got to know him as a professor, took classes with him,” Salas said. “He’s a remarkable teacher.”

After studying under Roth, Salas began working at the Getty Research Institute where Roth soon joined him. The two worked together for several years, and Salas remained there until his recent move to Wesleyan.

“I’ve enjoyed working with Michael, and he’s enjoyed working with me,” Salas said. “Michael was interested in continuing that collaboration.”

Though Salas loved his job at the Getty, his relationship with Roth was a critical factor in his decision to accept a job at Wesleyan.

“I thought I would finish my career at the Getty,” he said. “But when Michael asked me to come [to Wesleyan] it seemed the various threads of my life were weaving together.”

Overall, Salas has been very impressed by Wesleyan, its students and faculty, and the University’s ideals. He said he is excited to spend the next five years—the length of his contract—at the University, and suggested that he may consider teaching a course in the future.

“This is a wonderful place,” he said. “I look forward to contributing in any way appropriate.”