Perhaps one of the greatest disadvantages of living in the U.S. (along with obesity, the justice system and freedom fries) is that we don’t have nearly enough Shahrukh Khan in our lives. Who is Shahrukh Khan, you ask? Only Bollywood’s hottest male powerhouse, armed with smoldering eyes, charisma up the wazoo and a truckload of endorsements (all this, in spite of his bizarre, and bizarrely alluring, ’80s haircut). Why does this matter, you ask? As it turns out, it doesn’t—but when I first read the event description for Samsara, Wesleyan’s annual South Asian entertainment blow-out, “Bollywood” was the first word to jump out at me. Immediately, visions of Shahrukh, in all of his big-haired glory, began dancing before my eyes. Feeding my fantasies was Samsara organizer Sumana Murthy ’09 who I asked what exactly Samsara’s Bollywood performance would consist of.

“Ideally, it’ll be a Bollywood love story unfolding right before our eyes,” she said, before pausing a moment and adding, “Just kidding.”

So let me take this opportunity to dispel the rumors that have spreading as fast and thick as slime on Nickelodeon (remember “Slime Time?”) — Shahrukh Khan and his smoldering gaze will NOT be performing an epic Bollywood love story live tonight at Crowell. Just so you know. What you will find at Samsara, as always, is an eclectic mix of traditional and modern dance pieces, live music performances, skits, spoken word and, for the first time ever, a fashion show. Presented by Shakti, the campus’ South Asian students association, the show acts as both a celebration of South Asian culture and a benefit for philanthropic causes in the region. In past years, Samsara’s proceeds have gone to benefit earthquake relief in Gujarat and, last year, cyclone relief in Bangladesh. This year, the money will go to Free the Children, an organization that, among other endeavors, seeks to remove children from brothels in South Asia.

The show, despite its lack of Shahrukh Khan, promises a fusion of lively oppositions—old and new, bhangra and Bollywood, spoken word and traditional Pakistani folk songs. The show’s unique quality, at once serious and tongue-in-cheek, can even be seen in its title, which Murthy says, is both a cultural reference and a pun of sorts.

“Samsara in eastern philosophy, Hinduism and Buddhism means cycle of reincarnation as well, so that’s why it’s the name of the annual show — because it happens every year,” she said.

Veterans of Samsara not only have new performances and performers to look forward to, but an entirely new addition—a fashion show.

“It’s going to include South-Asian inspired fashion, created by members of Shakti, mostly from donated sari materials from stores in New Jersey that, for whatever reason, didn’t need it anymore, so that was a really nice thing,” Murthy said of the new addition.

For her part, Murthy is most looking forward to the finale dance, though she adds that she’s not one to play favorites.

“It’s always our biggest and our craziest piece where all the members of the show dance together,” she said. “It’s an eclectic mix of shows from South Asia and it’s always really fun so I’m looking especially forward to that. But the whole show will be great.“