While at Wesleyan, Matt Ember ’83 says he hit the books and did his work. These days, his work hits the big screen. This alum’s writing accomplishments range from movies such as “Get Smart” and “Failure to Launch” to television programs such as “The Drew Carey Show.” In an Argus interview, Ember reflected on his years at Wesleyan as an economics major and a Beta brother.

Hannah Berkman: What is your current job title?

Matt Ember: I have been a writer/producer in sitcoms for 16 years, and for the past four I have been a screenwriter. IMDB if you want to know all my credits. Most are cancelled sitcoms.

HB: What would you describe as your greatest accomplishment to date?

ME: Honestly, my family is my greatest accomplishment. But it was very rewarding to write two movies and see them all the way through production. It’s extremely rare for the original writers of a movie to be still the only writers all the way through post-production. Writers almost always get fired—uh, “replaced”—and the movies were successful, so that was nice too.

HB: How did you decide on Wesleyan?

ME: I visited Jesse Polansky ’81, who I knew in high school, and was taken by the place immediately. I applied early and never regretted it.

HB: Do you go to Wesleyan reunions?

ME: I went to my five-year reunion, but once you have kids who are in school, it gets very difficult to get back to Connecticut in the fall from Los Angeles.

HB: What do you remember most when you think about your four years at Wesleyan?

ME: My friends, all the great times we had in Clark Hall—third floor, living in Beta… Good times, great conversations, passionate arguments.

HB: What did you most enjoy about Wesleyan?

ME: Too broad a question—I loved it all: football games we knew we would never win, discovering the roof on the Science Library, my great roommates, some terrific teachers… I don’t know—the whole atmosphere of creativity and curiosity and the embracing of the unusual. I mean, come on— what other top academic school also has a West African Drumming program?

HB: How did you meet your wife (Laurie Sklarin Ember ’84) at Wesleyan?

ME: Uh…She was going out with my roommate. But they weren’t serious, and they were breaking up before I started dating her. And my roommate has always been very cool about it. We remain close friends.

HB: What were your favorite courses at Wesleyan?

ME: European Intellectual History with Henry Abelove, and Intro to Art History with John Paoletti.

HB: What experiences did you have at Wesleyan that shaped your movie writing?

ME: Mostly the intellectual curiosity. The willingness of people to hear another opinion and the rationale behind it, before you judge it. And the fantastic film program. I think seeing so many movies here really cemented my desire to be part of this business. I saw at least two movies a week for four years. That was just amazing. And seeing the Wesleyan Film Department was the first time I knew that anyone took movies seriously. Eye-opening. Jeanine (Basinger, film historian) should be the patron saint of Hollywood. Her impact has been that huge. And I never even got to take one of her classes! They were full of film majors!

HB: Did you use any of the personalities that you met here for characters in any of your movies?

ME: Probably. I use stuff I remember all the time. But not word for word. And I don’t use people’s names ever. So speak freely.

HB: What do you think has changed at Wesleyan since you graduated? Would you say these changes are for the better?

ME: I was at the dedication of the new Film Studies center this past summer, and I would definitely say that the biggest change at Wesleyan is the Film facilities. They’re phenomenal. When I was there, we had one flat-bed editing bay. Now there must be a dozen. Plus, there’s digital. And yes, it’s definitely for the better. Also, obviously the sports complex now is tremendous.

HB: In your industry, have you recently heard anything about Wesleyan’s film program?

ME: The top film production programs in the country are USC, UCLA, NYU, and Wesleyan. And the top film criticism program is Wesleyan. I think we’re in pretty good company.

HB: What do you think it is about this school that produces such a disproportionate number of alums that are successful in Hollywood and on Broadway?

ME: First of all, the students come to Wesleyan with artistic aspirations. And then they are fed by the Film and Theater departments. Frank Wood ’84 was on my freshman hall- and he later won a Tony Award (Best Featured Actor in a play for “Side Man”).

HB: What advice would you give to Wesleyan students interested in a film career?

ME: Be prepared to suffer. And be prepared to succeed. It’s a very hard business, but the hardest part is to get in the door and then stay there. You always have to be improving and re-inventing yourself. Stagnation is the quickest way out. And “schmooze. I suck at that, but it’s so important. Understand that half of being in the business is the quality of your work, and the other half is the quality of your relationships. That may sound ugly or cynical, but that’s life. The bottom line is you need people to want to work with you. I didn’t figure this out for a long time, but I’m getting better at it. I hope…

HB: Do you feel proud of your alma mater?

ME: I’m always very proud of Wesleyan. From the political activism to the emphasis on arts to the incredible science departments. And I’m especially proud now that we have such a great president! The previous two were disasters, in my opinion. Old intolerant ideologues—the exact opposite of what we stand for.