Lauren Cruz ’09 is one of many key returnees this year for the women’s swimming and diving team. Cruz, who is from Forest Hills, N.Y., looks to lead the team from the diving board as it jumps back into the water this season.

The team had a successful 2007-2008 campaign, shattering three individual team records at the NESCAC Championships, including the 50-meter backstroke mark, which Cara Madden ’11 set. Also last season, Amanda Shapiro ’08 garnered All-America laurels, and the team posted 12 top-eight individual finishes at the Championships. With this great mark at the end of last year has come great excitement about the upcoming season, as the team has an upbeat attitude to start the year.

“This is probably going to be our best season yet,” Cruz said. “We will hopefully have someone reach Nationals.”

While Cruz looks to provide senior leadership on the diving board, look for team captains Carly Bollinger ’09 and Caitlin Bethlahmy ’09 to lead the charge in the water. Bollinger will take care of the individual medley, fly and breaststroke, while Bethlahmy will compete in back and freestyle events.

With many key returnees and great senior leadership, this season looks to be bright for the women’s swimming and diving team. The team looks to get off to a great start Nov. 22, as it takes on Trinity and Bates at a meet held at Trinity.