Since she left Thai Gardens in 2001 to open Typhoon across the street, Sarinee Trisub and the story of her allegedly dramatic break with her former employer has become a permanent fixture of gossip on campus. In her own uniquely convivial manner, Trisub has done little to dispel or confirm the rumors of the two restaurants’ rivalry, only offering vague allusions to Typhoon’s superiority as well as backhanded criticisms of Thai Garden’s employment practices.

Beyond the mythos of the vengeful restaurateur, however, another—and better confirmed—persona has been unearthed from her past: that of the gun-toting Thai military pilot turned American immigrant.

Trisub, who goes by the nickname Tata (“troublemaker” in Thai), was born in Thailand, and entered the Thai military as a young adult. She adds that military matters have always intrigued her.

“It was my dream when I was young,” Trisub said, reflecting on her early interest in military service. “I saw people parachuting, and shooting guns. I was a tomboy.”

Since women are not permitted to engage in combat under Thai law, Trisub joined the Royal Thai Air Force, where she trained soldiers to become pilots for 17 years.

“It was awesome,” she said. “I got to parachute and use a gun, which most people never get to do.”

Since the United States has a strong relationship with Thailand, Trisub often worked with visiting American soldiers and consequently picked up some English over time. As a result of her contact with Americans, Trisub left the Thai Royale Air Force and her homeland in 1999 in search of better-paying jobs in the United States.

“I left Thailand for the money,” she said, noting that one U.S. dollar is equal to 34 Thai Bhat, and that a single month’s pay in Thailand is equal to one week’s pay in the U.S.

Trisub quickly took a job waiting tables and hosting at Thai Gardens, There, she discovered she loved the constant interaction with others that the job required.

In 2001, however, Trisub left Thai Gardens when the ownership changed. Overall, she had little to say about why she quit her job at Thai Gardens.

“They’re not bad people,” she said. “We have different ideas, that’s all.”

Trisub did imply, however, that her restaurant treats employees in a more humane way.

“If I have a worker, I will treat people like people,” she said.

Typhoon was originally a catering company that drew most of its business from the University. The restaurant opened its doors in 2002 on 344 Main St., and a few years later they moved down the street to the more spacious 360 Main St. due to an increasing number of customers.

Over the last six years, many University students and staff seem to have developed a loyalty to the restaurant and its owner. According to Trisub, roughly 80 percent of her annual business comes from the University. In particular, she proudly recalled that President Michael Roth dropped by during his first year in town.

According to Trisub, Typhoon will not change locations again any time soon. As long as business remains steady, she sees herself working at the restaurant for at least the next 20 years.

“I’m glad I have work to do,” she said.

• Tasmine

Wheoevr wrote this, you know how to make a good article.