The women’s soccer team beat Rhode Island College (RIC), 2-1, on Wednesday night, improving to 6-1-1 on the season—a mark last reached in 1993, when the Cardinals were 8-1-1 after their first 10 games. At the beginning of the week, Wesleyan was ranked eighth in New England Division III, the highest ranking for the squad since it won the ECAC Division III Championship in 1994.

Hillary Biggs ’12 scored the game-winner against RIC, converting a beautiful through-ball at midfield from Sam Blank ’09. Goalkeeper Clare Colten ’12 didn’t allow a goal for the entire second half, and had four saves, to earn the win in net. Taylor Stevenson ’10 continued serving the most beautiful corner-kicks in the NESCAC, as she hooked up with Cora Lautze ’11 in the 24th minute to put Wesleyan ahead. It was Stevenson’s fourth assist of the season and Lautze’s third goal in 2008.

“We have never been a corner kick offense, until this year,” said Yuri Hoshino ’09. “[Taylor] spot-kicks the corners at the top of the six [yard box], and she has been able to consistently put the ball out of reach of the keepers. Cora is great with her head, and our team has been very good at crashing the goal.”

After taking the lead on Lautze’s goal, the Cards quickly let RIC back into the game just four minutes later. A free kick from 35 yards out found the back of the Cardinal net and the game was quickly tied at one.

“The girl had a God-like shot,” Hoshino said. “It was ridiculous.”

Wesleyan was able to quickly assert itself against a squad that entered the match-up with 10 losses and only one win in 2008. Biggs’ game-winner was her fourth goal of the season, and she currently leads the Cards in goals as a freshman. It was also her second game-winning goal of the year. Most impressively, however, Biggs has taken only six shots all season—four of those six shots have resulted with goals.

After an impressive first eight games, Wesleyan will face its stiffest test of the season on Saturday when it visits Williams College—Division III’s only undefeated and untied team, currently ranked #1 in the country. Williams boasts All-American and offensive juggernaut Gabrielle Woodson, who has had seven goals and five assists in just eight games in 2008. Dethroning the Ephs will be a daunting task for Wesleyan, but there appears to be a hint of confidence in the Cards as the Little Three rivals prepare for the weekend.

“They are by far the most consistent team we will play all season,” Hoshino said. “If they play well, which they have every game this year, and we don’t play well, then we will lose. But, if they play well, and we play well, then I think we definitely have a shot.”

Last season Wesleyan hosted Williams in the season opener and held the Ephs offense scoreless for a half, before eventually falling1-0. Woodson, the 2007 NESCAC player of the year, scored the game-winner in the 73rd minute. Hoshino emphasized the Cardinal defense’s abilities, explaining that she hopes they can disrupt Woodson’s offensive rhythm.

“We’ll have to hassle her and make sure she doesn’t have a lot of time on the ball,” she said. “We have a lot of speed in the back to match hers. We’ve only let in two goals all season in NESCAC play, so I think we are ready.”

Kick-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. on Saturday in Williamstown, Mass. Wesleyan is off to its best start in over a decade and will look to supplant the Ephs at the top of the NESCAC.