It’s impossible not to have high expectations for the offspring of “Growing Pains’” Alan Thicke, but, unfortunately, Robin Thicke disappoints on his third solo album, “Something Else.”

Thicke is known for his smooth crooning and soulful lyrics. He is often compared to Justin Timberlake, along with other musicians who combine pop with R&B. In the past, he’s had sensational hits such as “Lost Without U” and “Wanna Love U Girl,” but this album has no one song that stands out. Even the pre-released single “Magic” is bland because Thicke compromises his signature smoothness in an attempt to channel a more upbeat Marvin Gaye-like sound. While it’s admirable that he is trying new things, Thicke should stick to the sound that he knows best.

While “Something Else” may be lacking in creativity, Thicke’s vocals are strong. The first track, “You’re My Baby” has a relaxed soul vibe but it’s no different than any other R&B ballad. “Sidestep” is a more upbeat song that is heavy on the drums and is also an impressive show of Thicke’s vocal ability. Most songs on the album, such as “Ms. Harmony” and “The Sweetest Love,” are pretty, albeit stereotypical for Thicke. The Jimi Hendrix-like instrumentals on “Hard on My Life” make this song easily one of the more enjoyable on the album.

The title track’s funky sound is a pleasant surprise among Thicke’s otherwise pathetic attempts at soul. “Everybody’s a Star” sounds a bit like bar mitzvah staple “The Shuffle,” and this probably isn’t a good thing. Most other tracks, such as “Shadow of Doubt” and “Cry No More,” could bore even the most dedicated soul fan. The instrumentals are too mellow and Thicke’s lyrics lack the substance of old school greats like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder.

The last song on the album is especially weak. His new collaboration with Lil Wayne, “Tie My Hands,” pales in comparison to their previous hit, “Shooter.”

Thicke is a talented artist but “Something Else” is uninspired, even boring. It’s a challenge to sit and listen to the entire album, as every song sounds the same. Even for an R&B artist, there are an unnecessary number of love ballads on this album.

“Something Else” may be pretty but it’s beyond safe, which is why it’s such a disappointment. Thicke’s lyrics are whiny and obnoxious especially when he repeats: “I don’t cry no more/girl I know you want this” repetitively on “Cry No More.”

While I think that Thicke should stick to his signature style, he needs to find new material because the sappy love songs are getting old.