The Wesleyan women’s soccer team made the most of its opportunities on Saturday, attempting three on-goal shots and put away two for a 2-0 victory over Trinity. Cora Lautze ’11 had a hand in both, scoring the first goal in the 33rd minute, and delivering the assist on Dasha Battelle’s ’11 60th-minute insurance goal.

The inclement weather conditions made the win all the more impressive. Constant rain had made the pitch soggy and slippery, and the ball slick and hard to control. Weather seemed to have no effect on the star of the match, however, who gave partial credit to her extra special footwear.

“I would attribute my play to my cleats,” Lautze said after the game. “I was wearing David Beckham’s cleats; they made [fellow teammate] Yuri [Hoshino’s ’09] toenails fall off so she gave them to me and they worked wonders. It was my first game wearing them and they felt great.”

The team dazzled spectators at Smith Field, the University’s artificial turf field. While the men’s team has struggled on the turf, the women’s team found a way to turn the slick surface and ball speed to their advantage.

“We didn’t really have any clear shots or goal scoring opportunities besides Sam’s first shot,” Lautze said. “We had three shots on goal and two goals. That shows that it was really just a scrap fest out there, due to the weather and the field, and we had more heart to put it in the back of the net. I think the time has finally come where we have the talent to convert our desire to win into winning.”

Goalkeeper Claire Colton ’12 was also outstanding, turning her second career start into her second career shutout with four saves.

The victory against Trinity was only the second for Cardinals women’s soccer against the Bantams in the past 10 years. Wesleyan’s stingy defense has only allowed three goals through five games; the last time the defense was this tough was way back in 1993.

A formidable opponent is next on the schedule, as Western Connecticut comes to town Wednesday, Oct. 1. Western Conn. is ranked the 18th best team in Division III, but Wes has lost close contests to them the last two seasons, losing 1-0 each time.