1. Carlos Zambrano Pitched A No-Hitter. In an Astros “home” game that was relocated to a “neutral” Milwaukee site (one that is a bus ride from Chi-town), Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano fired the second no hitter of the MLB season. He allowed only two base runners (walked one, hit the other) on his way to the history books. This also puts the Cubs in good shape to win it all as it falls in line with my theory that teams in recent memory who have a pitcher throw a perfect game/no hitter have the inside road to the World Series. (See: ’96 Yanks, ’98 Yanks, ’99 Yanks, ’97 Marlins, ’07 Red Sox, etc.)

2. Patriots win even without Tom Terrific. Matt Cassel was efficient and the Patriots beat their division rival Jets 19-10. While the Patriots won mainly on the shoulders of their defense, kudos to Cassel for stepping in and getting the job done. Favre was average at best for the Jets, who couldn’t punch in a TD from one yard out. I urge any of you with friends who are Jets fans to be on the lookout as they may have just realized, even with Favre, their best playmaker is Jericho Cotchery. Eek. Still not a believer in gang green. And don’t look now, but Aaron Rodgers is 2-0 in Green Bay.

3. Brandon Marshall and Darren McFadden. These are your two fantasy studs of the weekend. Returning from injury, Brandon Marshall had 18 catches for 166 yards and a score for the triumphant Broncos in week two. I repeat: 18 catches. That’s a seasons worth for some. On the running side of the ball, rookie Darren McFadden rumbled his way for 164 yards and a score. Even though lots of backs had great weekends (Julius Jones, Darren Sproles), running for those numbers behind a brutal offensive line was most impressive. At least the Raiders have that going for them.

4. USC. Southern Cal once again proved they are the team to beat in college football. They trounced a Beanie Wells-less Ohio State team 35-3 in what was one of the most anticipated games in recent memory (mainly due to ESPN and their habit of shameless self promotion). The only way USC may lose a regular season game this year is if Head Coach Pete Carroll somehow runs into “one punch” Ryan Atwood in the OC. Other than that, they look pretty unstoppable at this early point in the year.

5. Chase Daniel made an early Heisman case. Missouri QB Chase Daniel catapulted himself to the top of the Heisman talk this week in the Tigers drubbing of Nevada. Daniel threw for 405 yards and four scores in the 69-17 blow out. Granted, you may not even have known Nevada fields a team or existed in general outside of Las Vegas, but the Tigers and Daniel look awfully impressive so far. While it is way too early to be speaking about the Heisman, be on the lookout as Daniel’s numbers continue to skyrocket.

6a. Notre Dame beat Michigan. Notre Dame beat a pathetic Michigan squad struggling to comprehend the highflying acrobatics of head coach Rich Rodriguez’s spread offense by a score of 35-17. While ND was far from great, they made some tremendous strides from the previous week, where they battled it out with lowly San Diego State. A young team gaining confidence has Irish Eyes smiling, and has also stopped me from walking around like Peter Gibbons from “Office Space” with a case of the Mondays. At least for this week.

6b. Weis Injured. During a play in Saturday’s game, Notre Dame Head Coach Charlie Weis was inadvertently run into on the sideline, tearing his ACL and his MCL. While this is a nightmare injury for athletes, Weis, a fitness freak, will just have to worry about not inhaling too much fried food while he’s off his feet. The Argus wishes you a speedy recovery, Chuck.

7. Soccer Riot. In a local soccer match in Congo between Socozaki and Nyuki System, a riot left at least 13 people dead, many of whom were teenagers. The riot was apparently sparked by rumors that one of the players was using witchcraft during the game. Police fired in the air to try and gain control, which caused a mass evacuation where most of the deaths were said to have occurred. A tragic story indeed. Of course, we at Wes are well versed in the thoughtful tact that defines police authority.

8. Canadians to retire Roy’s jersey. The Montreal Canadians have announced they will retire legendary goaltender Patrick Roy’s jersey on November 22. Roy was dominant for the Canadians during his tenure there, helping them to two Stanley Cups in 1986 and 1993. This is a somewhat surprising move, as Roy asked to be traded and left Montreal in the mid 1990s with some bad blood. It is also surprising that his name is actually pronounced “Wah” and not “Roy.” So, go figure.

9a, NFL Ref Ed “Pipes” Hochuli robbed the Chargers. In a great back and forth game between the Chargers and Broncos on Sunday, veteran NFL referee Ed Hochuli inadvertently blew a whistle on a Jay Cutler fumble that would have ended the game in favor of the Chargers. Cutler fumbled but was bailed out by the whistle that prevented the ruling from being overturned. The ensuing play, the Broncos were able to score a touchdown to come within an extra point of a tie.

9b. Broncos go for two and the win. Instead of kicking that extra point to send the game to overtime, Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan elects to go for the two-point conversion and the win in the Ford “bold move of the weekend.” It works, and the Broncos come out with a huge W. Remember people: bold moves happen everyday.

10. Everything in the sports world. Shares of Wesleyan fell harder than Lehman Brothers amidst news that there is a two-week line to get your TV set up. Tough to say anyone on campus caught much from the Wide World of Sports this weekend because nobody has cable yet. I feel like I am living in Middle Earth.