It usually takes an outside force or an overhead authority to expose a program, organization, or team of cheating and to right the wrong. Take a look at the MLB—it took a federal investigation from the United States Senate to determine the sad truth about mass steroid use. Similarly, former USC running back Reggie Bush, long gone from the collegiate ranks, is still under federal investigation for allegedly receiving gifts and monetary compensation during his time in SoCal.

One might not think that Florida State University, a perennial athletic bully with a substantial list of violations and player suspensions, would provide a model of taking responsibility for one’s actions.

So maybe we should check in with the devil and see if its getting chilly at the fiery gates, but FSU has done right by itself and handled its recent cheating scandal with blunt honesty and necessary discipline.

A recent 30-page document, the result of a university-led investigation, explained the misconduct of as many as 61 student-athletes in an online music class offered by the University. The report details how former learning specialist Brenda Monk and an unidentified tutor, both from the school’s Athletic Academic Support Services (AASS), helped students cheat in this course.

According to the report, the tutor admitted to memorizing the majority of the answers to exams that did not change from year to year. Almost all of the cheating occurred in an AASS computer lab. While not all of the 61 students admitted to cheating entirely, all have admitted to receiving inappropriate help on some level.

If this instance seems to ring some bells, it should. These cheating scandals have rocked sports on a fairly regular basis, from grade school to major universities and colleges. The fact is that usually they are uncovered by an outside organization or group and then publicized.

In this case, Florida State has picked up its own trash so to speak, implementing serious sanctions across its athletic program.

Monk and the tutor have been fired. Athletic Director Dave Hart resigned and AASS Director Mark Meleney was fired.

“[Meleney] should have known something was going on,” said FSU President T.K. Wetherell.

Additionally, the university has placed its athletic department on two years’ probation. It will have a ’across the board’ reduction of scholarships in several of its more prominent sports. It will require its entire athletic department to attend a four-hour training program on decision-making in compliance with the NCAA.

These may seem like harsh punishments but what makes them even more eye-opening is that the university placed them on itself. While the NCAA helped with the investigation, this was something spearheaded by FSU from start to finish.

“We believe that our investigation has been thorough and exhaustive,” said FSU Provost Larry Abele, who chaired the investigating committee. “This university and its athletics department have accepted responsibility, made changes in the process and systems, and imposed penalties as warranted.”

Couldn’t agree with you more, Mr. Abele and thank you Florida State for handling a scandal in-house. This university has shown a maturity in crisis that should underscore its billing as a sincere and resilient program that doesn’t tolerate cutting corners.