The class deans have jumped on the blog bandwagon this year, following the success of University blogs such as those of President Michael Roth, Information and Technology Services (ITS), and the student-run Wesleying. The deans hope these blogs will become valuable tools that could reach students more efficiently than e-mails or fliers.

“I hope it will become a new, effective way to communicate with students that will extend and complement other, existing ways,” said David Phillips, Dean of the class of 2012.

Since the start of the school year, the blogs have contained information pertinent to arriving students. Each dean’s blog is class-specific, with information ranging from orientation schedules on the freshman class blog to a “Life Post-Wes” entry relevant to the concerns of seniors. Certain stories, however, such as announcements of campus-wide activities and events, are posted across all blogs.

“The blogs will reflect what’s most important to the class at that time,” said creator Noel Garrett, dean of the class of 2011. “It is the class’s blog.”

However, as with any new initiative, the success of the blogs is dependent upon the participation of undergraduates. With so many websites already targeting students, Garret expressed concern that social networking websites like Facebook, MySpace or a myriad of other sites would be more enticing than a blog published by the University.

The deans hope that, as word of the blogs spread, students will begin using them as a convenient and informative tool to keep updated on campus happenings. They have e-mailed students links to the blogs and plan on publishing the links in other newsletters to ensure that students are aware of the blogs’ existence. Garret believes that the most valuable way to inform students about the blogs may simply be word-of-mouth.

“I hope it gives [students] a better sense of what’s going on with the services and resources of the institution,” Phillips said. “The ultimate reason is not about technology, but being able to communicate with students.”

The deans also expressed a desire for student contributions to their feeds, as it is possible for students to e-mail their dean and tell him or her what they want to see posted. Although the blogs are not meant to become an advertising tool, the deans want to know what their students are involved in and what they think should be included on the blog.

With this new form of communication, the possibility arises that relationships between the two groups will change.

“I think [the blogs] help to grow a sense of community,” Garrett said. “I’m part of the class of 2011; I’m just the dean. I’m here to make sure students have knowledge of resources so they can succeed here.”

Phillips said that one advantage of the blogs is their permanence. At the end of one’s career at Wesleyan, the blogs will hold a record of the class’s four years together due to posts that echo the key concerns to a particular class. The deans noted that this sort of timeline is more difficult to keep track of in an assortment of e-mails and newsletters.

As the use of technology by school administrations continues to evolve, blogs are becoming increasingly common. The deans hope that such tools will harness the Internet’s potential for communication to the fullest extent.

“Blogs are where it’s happening,” Phillips said.