Politician Mike Gravel wants to put the power of government in the hands of the people. On April 8, the newly-Libertarian presidential candidate spoke candidly for over two hours to a crowd of University students in the Woodhead Lounge.

Gravel explained that his plan to give legislative power to the people comes from the universal truth, coined by Cicero, that “freedom is participation in power.” If elected president, Gravel said he will push both an amendment to the constitution and a federal law, together called the National Initiative, which will grant United States citizens legislative power.

“We have 24 states in the U.S. where people to some degree or another can make laws,” Gravel said. “It’s not a very good process, but it’s better than nothing.”

One audience member asked why a population that often ignores its right to vote would want to become involved in the act of lawmaking.

“People don’t vote because they have no power,” Gravel responded. “If they have this power, they will get involved.”

Gravel was also eager to discuss the other presidential candidates. When one audience member expressed concern that voting for Gravel rather than Obama might swing the election towards the Republicans, Gravel responded with a chuckle.

“Obama is taking my votes,” he said.

When asked about his thoughts on Obama’s recent speech on race issues, Gravel admitted his respect for Obama before stating that the frontrunner was “afraid” of him.

“He won’t debate me [because] he’s a coward,” Gravel continued. “He’s selling the sizzle, not the steak. I sell steak.”

Dan Reale, a proud Libertarian who is running for congress in Connecticut’s second district, joined other audience members at Gravel’s discussion. Reale is perhaps even more radical than Gravel, at one moment comparing the choice of Republican or Democrat to a choice between Stalin and Hitler.

Gravel has taken uncommon stands on several issues, particularly that of the illegality of marijuana. Although he claims that the drug has no effect on him, he still holds that it should be made legal.

“You should be able to go buy marijuana at a liquor store, and it would be good stuff,” he said.

At the lecture, Gravel was asked about a YouTube video in which he throws a large rock into a lake and then walks away. Gravel explained that the video’s message is simple.

“Focus on something important to you,” he said. “Do it, hope it affects people in a good way, and then go off to die.”

Gravel claimed that the current government has made mistakes that a Libertarian-led government would be unable to make. Citing the current cost of the Iraq war as $3 trillion, Gravel noted that this equals the cost of rewiring the entire United States, and suggested that our country will likely be facing massive rolling blackouts in the future.

Gravel also discussed foreign policy, citing the Triton Submarines that currently patrol the oceans. He explained that one of these submarines has the nuclear capabilities to destroy the world, before stating. upon being elected president, that he would “shut down all those nukes.”

While Gravel expressed confidence in his policies, some are unsure of how possible it would be to put them into action.

“I was surprised by his eccentricity,” said Tsuyoshi Onda ’11, who attended the rally. “[But] I think he’s unrealistic with his policies.”

Although Gravel’s chances of winning may be dubious, the popularity of one of his newer slogans may ring true with skeptical voters.

“I believe in porn, gambling, freedom,” he shouted.